Fired up the 33 90 in COLD Colorado

Guest outlaw car man

Guest outlaw car man

Been real cold out this last month in Colorado, sub-zero stuff. Decided to fire up the 33 90 for a short run. Have it on a charger of course- Couple hits, let it sit, full choke. Again, just about, then it fired.

No heater, never had, which is odd for an ex DuPont car, they owned 30 % of GM in 33. Has everything else for a 90.

Anyway, some snow, can't imagine in the " day" of my father, starting these cars up, chains and all-

The great smell of the choked gas in the cold air-

Damn Marvel poured fuel, so I did my " Jones Fix" ran great, then did it again, then ran perfect- I'm running it with a 1/2 QT low, seems to like that-

Older photo, when it was warm out.......

Happy Holidayspost-54015-14314283955_thumb.jpg

Guest outlaw car man

According to the history I got on the car, it spent a lot of time stored in a boat house in upper State New York in the war years. Prior, I have no idea, where they wanted I guess. Since the car was given/traded/gifted for a Navy Submarine contact ( CONTACT not contract), probably Virginia area. Only 4000 miles put on it since 1973. Did find out fairly recently, the engine was professionally rebuilt/restored in about 1968.

Sandy -

I did the same thing on the '32 today since the car has been sitting for the last week in a cold garage here in NoCal. Had to use the "Jones Fix" also, but she fired right up after that! I think it was my fault on the start. Gave a bit too much gas and flooded her. J

Guest outlaw car man

Hi Jay-

Yea we got BIG cars, takes awhile for the gas to get forward, then I do the same, sometimes flood it a bit. Once we get past that " summer valve " thingy, and gas stops flowing out, they run great. Wish I could trade you some moisture for heat. World doesn't work that way. Could be in Buffalo, nasty stuff there-

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest outlaw car man

There is a little round vent that protrudes on the top of the 1933 Marvel carb float bowl. This is basically an overflow vent on top of the float bowl cap. If the gas were to expand ( summer) or the float sticks, the gas is vented up through this vent- HOWEVER, in 1933 ( and other years) the design was to vent the gas to the top of the carb and then it goes down to the splash pan AND onto the hot exhaust pipe. The Achilles heal of the Marvel, plus some other things.

If the low speed jet get gum on it from evaporation of our Vodka gas or the float/needle sticks after sitting, as you drive or just start, the gas pours out over everything. I used to take the thing off, open up, clean the LS jet ( stand pipe) and put back together and, if got lucky, everything sealed on the float chamber- What Jay is talking about here is a fast cure- Take a piece of blue paper grease rag or such and plug up the area between this vent and the back of the carb. NOT the hole itself just the vent hole opening area to seal off the hole where gas flows- Open hood, fire engine , keep pressure on this fix. If your lucky the gas will stop due to ( probably ) the vodka gas cleaning off the low speed stand pipe. Sometimes you have to stop the car and do a new rag.. I'm not saying it's not dangerous, but this is the old car world. Keeps em running. You are basically forcing the gas to stay inside the carb and not on the exhaust pipe.... Plug the hole ???? I don't know, I've had people say to run a line down, but I think you need the gas to stay in ???? Works for me thing-

I keep the engine revved up by hand too. Then test it a couple times. The Jones Fix.

Edited by outlaw car man (see edit history)