1923 Model T parts?

Laughing Coyote

Tons of parts out there for a Model T. Headlights would not be hard. The door may take a little searching depending on the body style, .. Drivers door. Most T's did not have a drivers door. Photos would help. Dandy Dave!

Martin -

If it is an original Ford coupe body and has not been extensively modified, the doors for the 1918-1923 model year coupes were hinged at the rear (suicide doors).

-The 1924-1927 model year coupes had the doors hinged at the front.

-The 1924-25 model year coupes had the two piece windshield.

-Based on your description so far, it is likely that you have a 1924-1925 model year coupe. Some were sold as early as Aug 1923 [ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1923.htm ] so they could have been registered as a 1923 in some states but they had the 1924 model year style body with the doors hinged at the front and opening from the rear.

I borrowed this from The Model T Forum for you.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/441381.html?1398696128

I hope this helps.

Chuck in Chilly Kansas

Guest AlCapone

I saw lots of headlights at Hershey but not many doors. I agree with Mustang 58 that it may be available at an escalated price. Generally speaking there are lots of T parts available and not a lot of people looking to buy. Wayne

I was afraid you had a coupe when you said drivers door. I agree that door would be the hardest thing to find. For the most part, anything mechanical is available.

Here is a good place to look. https://www.modeltford.com/ Good folks. I have done business there myself. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

Although others may not have had good luck, I have had great luck buying parts to fit my 1924 Model T at Macs. Also their catalogue is very informative and a very good resource tool.

Wayne

We have a new in the box trunk lid from MAc's for a '24 Roadster. Cost us $550 but we ended up not using it. It was back ordered for over 9 months. When it finally showed up we no longer needed it but kept it for an upcoming project that never materialized. For sale for $400 if you can use it.

If this is going to be your first T buy a runner.

It looks like all the top bows are there too! That's a big plus and the top is small.....cost a LOT less than it cost me to get a new top on my '19 Touring.

Not only that, Roadsters have been pretty hot for a while........and you can drive it while you refurbish.......zoom zoom zoom....... :o

Martin

Listen to the wise words of Cahartley, buy the best car you can afford and one you can have fun with now or very shortly and restore as you go.

As far as where to look for bad wood, door sag can be one indication, there is a wooden sill attached to the top of the frame that can be checked from underneath. Especially check where wooden pillars join the sill. The top is a good indicator also; if the car was left out exposed to the elements with no top, chances are water has run down and collected in the door bottoms, quarter panels and trunk area. Take a jackknife and check for softness/rot wherever you see wood.

Good luck.

Tyler

If you're seriously interested in having a Model T Ford, it might be worthwhile to join the Model T Ford Club. I see there is a chapter in your area (Tucson). In this way you can learn more about the cars, what's available, what they're worth, what parts are easy or hard to find. And you can be face to face with others who share your interest. When you buy your car you'll be able to learn how to restore or work on it, firsthand, from folks who live near you.

I'm not an expert in Fords but here is the website of the Model T Ford Club of America: http://www.mtfca.com/index.htm. . They have a webpage which shows the local chapters around the country. Also, local folks may know of local "bargains" available, before they become generally advertised.

It might run but you certainly can't say a lot more for it. It looks like a piece of junk! Keep looking, time is on your side. There are much better buys out there. Wayne
Just exactly what the heck is wrong with that "T"???

It's mostly there, it sits nice and straight, the sheet metal seems in great shape, it runs and drives. Some body work and a paint job, which could be done at home, would transform that "piece of junk" into an eye catching car. Offer three grand, cash on the barrel head. Let him bump you up a few hundred and take it home

Guest AlCapone
Just exactly what the heck is wrong with that "T"???

It's mostly there, it sits nice and straight, the sheet metal seems in great shape, it runs and drives. Some body work and a paint job, which could be done at home, would transform that "piece of junk" into an eye catching car. Offer three grand, cash on the barrel head. Let him bump you up a few hundred and take it home

LOL Sure then you can sink another 12 to $ 15000 dollars into it and have a nice $ 8 or $ 9000 dollar car. Run dont walk from that deal.

Wayne

LOL Sure then you can sink another 12 to $ 15000 dollars into it and have a nice $ 8 or $ 9000 dollar car. Run dont walk from that deal.

Wayne

That's the truth for most cars ,

across the board...

It's less expensive to buy one already done.

I could sell my car today. And get 1/4 what's been spent on it.

My Dad taught me; always keep one in running condition,

or else it will languish

Wayne

That would depend on how much he did himself, and whether he wants a fun car, or a drop dead show stopper. I could make that a fun car fairly easily. As far as paint, they were dunked originally. A can of Tractor supply black and a paint brush would be closer to original than the fancy and shiny finishes of today. One thing for sure, If you get a T, you will learn to wrench on it, change transmission bands, adjust buzz coils, and other fun stuff like replacing the babbitt thrusts in the rearend with bronze ones. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

There are checkbook car guys and there are those with greasy hands. I have no money, but I have a shop full of tools and equipment. Lathe, mill, welders, grinders, drill presses, etc. I paint, I have an aluminum foundry, a complete woodworking shop and all the time I need. For me, that "T" would be a fun project. There is no way I would dump 10-15K into it to make it presentable. Yes, if he wants a nice driver, it would be better to spend 5-6K more and get an older restoration. If he wants to get a hobby car and learn about old Fords, then this isn't such a bad deal. If it is a good runner, without a lot of smoke and ominous noises, I'd still consider it

Guest AlCapone
There are checkbook car guys and there are those with greasy hands. I have no money, but I have a shop full of tools and equipment. Lathe, mill, welders, grinders, drill presses, etc. I paint, I have an aluminum foundry, a complete woodworking shop and all the time I need. For me, that "T" would be a fun project. There is no way I would dump 10-15K into it to make it presentable. Yes, if he wants a nice driver, it would be better to spend 5-6K more and get an older restoration. If he wants to get a hobby car and learn about old Fords, then this isn't such a bad deal. If it is a good runner, without a lot of smoke and ominous noises, I'd still consider it

You must admit there is not a lot of guys around with your tools, skills and abilities. You are a rare breed. For every one of you there is 98 of us that must have someone else do the work. To rewire the Chrysler in my avatar cost me $3300 dollars. You would have done it for the $400 in parts whereas I had to pay $2900 labor. So obviously we look at a car thru a different set of glasses. Wayne

There are more than a few of us who can do our own wrenching and machining.......but undoubtedly more wrenchers than machinists and welders.

I still have total access to the machine and welding shop I sold so that's a huge bonus........besides........I never DID feel right with really clean hands....... :rolleyes:

But there are things I HATE doing or things my back doesn't like me to do.......that's when things get expensive....... :(

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

I resemble that Remark....:cool: Dandy Dave!

That is a nice looking one. Not too bad on price either. I appreciate all the commets and info on the subject. I'm one of those guys that is pretty handy with the tools. I joined the military right out of high school and went into a mechanical field. I was a aircraft ground support mechanic. Worked on diesel, gas, and turbine engines. Also electrical generator, air comoressors, A/C, heating and pneumatic systems. Did that for 20 plus years for the Air Guard and ended up my last 3 years as a F-16 machinist/ welder. Started a thriving metal fabrication business 7 years ago. Now retired and still doing the metal business.

That is a nice looking one. Not too bad on price either. I appreciate all the commets and info on the subject. I'm one of those guys that is pretty handy with the tools. I joined the military right out of high school and went into a mechanical field. I was a aircraft ground support mechanic.

I think you and I would get along well....... :)

Trust me when I tell you if this is your first Model T.......buy a good one

They have quirks unto their own and dealing with them right out of the gate isn't fun.

They can be so exasperating you'll want to look for a sledge hammer........but they can be one of the most fun cars you can drive too........I love driving mine and I DO drive them a lot.

Don also travels extensively with his parts trailer,,to meets,,

Last I knew he had 5 men packing/shipping parts,,he also has

a few R-S-N parts too,,!!!,Ashburnham MA north west of

worcester MA,North of Rt 2 too,,,Wey out,,country

Good for T daily drivers,,,,,,Cheers,Ben