63 Riviera - New Owner

Guest Marcus J

Guest Marcus J

So I was at the Mecum auction this weekend in Anaheim and I purchased a 63 Riviera on a total whim. I really know nothing about the car but just loved the styling and well now I'm the proud new owner. The car was advertised as matching numbers and was hoping someone could help me decipher the data plate as follows:

05E

Style 63-4747 FB34595 Body

Trim 716J2 FF Paint

ACC. D S7 I7 N2 U7 Z4

This car equipped with magic mirror acrylic lacquer

Body by Fisher

I also found this tag: Buick 7J1106155 and this number was stamped in the engine between the spark plugs: B1196914J

Thanks in advance

"Magic Mirror Acrylic Lacquer" was the standard acrylic lacquer paint finish for all GM cars back then. "Body by Fisher" meant that Fisher Body Division built the body of the vehicle. Just normal stuff for back then.

The V8Buick forum might have information on the engine number and such (as would a Buick service manual, too, I suspect). You might post in the Riviera forum, too.

Congrats on your purchase! Great looking cars! I like Mecum auctions better than B-J, personally.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

It looks like the paint if "F" which is Marlin Blue Poly..... someone will correct/educate me but the FF probably means top and body are the same color. Or stated another way the first F =lower body, second F = roof color.

Check out this same thread on the Riviera Owner's forum. Everything has been decoded. Rivieras had the same double letter paint code as all other Buicks, but ALL Rivieras were painted a solid color. No reason why Buick still used the double letter, but they did.

Also, all of the codes listed are only for the back half of the car, the part that was built in Flint before being sent to final assembly. Other options such as tilt wheel, cornering lights, cruise, four note horns, etc., which could be added without any further attention from Fisher Body were just installed on the line but did not appear on the Fisher Data Plate.

Ed

"Magic Mirror Acrylic Lacquer" was the standard acrylic lacquer paint finish for all GM cars back then. "Body by Fisher" meant that Fisher Body Division built the body of the vehicle. Just normal stuff for back then.

The V8Buick forum might have information on the engine number and such (as would a Buick service manual, too, I suspect). You might post in the Riviera forum, too.

Congrats on your purchase! Great looking cars! I like Mecum auctions better than B-J, personally.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

This (BCA) Forum and V8Buick.com are great sources of information for our Buicks.

I've found many parts and info on these and also TeamBuick forum