1937 Buick Sales Floor Literature

Guest LarryPittsley

Guest LarryPittsley

1937 Buick Sales Floor Literature. I found this flip chart sales floor tool from 1937 in a house I bought from a family, who's father worked at Buick garage in Freeport, Illinois. I included a few pages from the sales tool. I don't know anything about it but thought this would be the place to find the people with some knowledge on this. Please let me know anything you might know.

I found quite a few other Buick and other car related items in the house. This was after a 2 day auction and I found the leftovers. This was one of the leftovers.

The pages are almost 23" high and a little over 15" wide.

post-104509-143142836014_thumb.jpg

post-104509-143142835988_thumb.jpg

post-104509-143142835993_thumb.jpg

post-104509-143142835997_thumb.jpg

post-104509-1431428360_thumb.jpg

post-104509-143142836003_thumb.jpg

post-104509-143142836006_thumb.jpg

post-104509-143142836009_thumb.jpg

post-104509-143142836011_thumb.jpg

Edited by LarryPittsley (see edit history)

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I have seen some of these for sale in the past. Interesting items. As the owner of a 1937 Buick, I certainly find it interesting. Are you trying to find a buyer or just interested in learning more about the advertising campaign that they were used in?

Guest LarryPittsley

I don't know for sure. I like automobile items but am not attached to this. My dad was good friends with the man that had these items and I knew him all my life. That is why I have hung on to this. I like things finding good homes for items, if I don't want to keep. Some of this is in excellent condition and other pages has some damage. I don't know much about this type of material, but like you, I like to have items related to what I own. I have had Buick's in the past but have none now. I am unemployed right now, so I have been considering selling items I would not have before. If items are not worth much I would probably keep them, if they have some value I would consider selling.

Guest LarryPittsley

Didn't mean to wast your time. Was told by the Buick Club this would be the best place to learn about this piece since they had never seen this particular one. They said people on this site were very knowledgeable and if anyone would know, I could find them here.

Sorry again.

Didn't mean to come across as being short but the fact is they have zero intrinsic value. They are only worth what an interested party will pay. The best place to find that number is to auction them and the best place is EBay. Put them on EBay with a reserve of your bottom price. Asking folks here for advice of their value will be worth EXACTLY what you are paying for it........Bob

Guest LarryPittsley

Totally disagree with Mr. Beck's negative and abrupt statement: "they have zero intrinsic value"

I have never seen anything like this for 1937 Buicks, and to think they have survived 75+ years is amazing. I thank Mr. Pittsley for photographing and posting them here. It is NOT a waste of everyone's time to look at these and be informed that such a thing is still around. Might even be a good article for the Buick Bugle.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

You're conflating intrinsic and market values. Intrinsic means akin to or essentially alike. Since the question was about money and they are not "akin" to or like "money" they have NO intrinsic value. Possibly someone might pay a great deal for them but they still would not have any intrinsic value. As for wasting time the original post was to ascertain the value of the items. Since the market value could not be established here, hoping to do so was a waste of time since the best gauge of their actual value would be an auction with a large market. EBay. Evidently Mr. Pittsley didn't find my post negative since he now has them listed on EBay where he will have the widest exposure and hopefully receive their full market value. I wish him well and hope he makes a bundle. He was gracious enough to post the EBay listings here which gives the members, and yourself, the opportunity to establish their market value by actually putting up some bucks. Good luck.........................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Guest LarryPittsley

Hope someone gets them that really appreciates they. They have been in storage for the 15 years since I've had them and probably since 1938 from the previous owner. Only now are they seeing the light of day. I also found a few NOS parts in original Buick boxes. Have to find out what they fit.

I am watching the auctions. I have no need for them but if the price does not go above what I am willing to spend, I will bid on them. I generally buy literature related to cars that I own and they would go well with my recently acquired 1937 Buick Century. They are a bit different from most literature that I have collected in the past but they are still interesting.

Hope someone gets them that really appreciates they. They have been in storage for the 15 years since I've had them and probably since 1938 from the previous owner. Only now are they seeing the light of day. I also found a few NOS parts in original Buick boxes. Have to find out what they fit.

If the part# is on the box, ask here. Lots of guys have parts books...............Bob

If they have a need for these, and given the rarity of them they probably will, it will be hard to beat the Buick Heritage Alliance bidder, they have some DEEEEEP pockets. Ask me how I know. :(:rolleyes::)

edit: but what better home could there be for them

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

The price is climbing on them so I'd bet they're going to fetch a decent price. All I could do was copy the nice pictures that were posted in the eBay ads and admire them.

I just realized this thread is posted in the general Buick board, I followed a link posted by a member in the Yahoo! '37-38 board. I don't see it post in the pre-war board, there might some members there that won't see it here. I'll post a link on that board to this discussion.

Guest Buick8Bill

Nice batch of literature. I saw a similar flip chart years ago at a pre-war dinner we attended. The chart there was from 1941 showing the Fireball engine. It was named for the new configuration of the combustion chamber. Interesting piece.

Guest LarryPittsley

When you guys told me of the rarity of this advertising, I took high resolution pictures of each page. I have been cleaning up the images so they are better than the original prints I started with. If someone wants prints of any of the pages, I can reproduce the same size, also larger, or smaller sizes. If interested let me know.

Edited by LarryPittsley (see edit history)