Out on the salty Pittsburgh PA streets

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

I have seen this 57 a few times driving around my area, today it was at a local grocery store. Lots of salt on the streets and roads (not sure why though, we had a dusting)

post-30591-143142836276_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143142836273_thumb.jpg

That's groovy Keith. Thanks for posting. Cool to see that especially this time of year. At least the owner doesn't have to worry about PA emissions inspections! Be interesting to know who it is and if a BCA member.

It was nasty down this way today. Enough snow that the roads were covered and icy this morning.

Guest my3buicks

The fellow was less than talkative but I got that it was his brothers that left it to him and he is just driving it. I did note it has antique plates on it. he had no interest in it as an antique car, it was transportation form what I could gather.

I'm about 40 minutes east of Buffalo. That picture looks like the tropics to me.

My cars are not stored and driven on dry days in December, January, and March. Dead storage for 5 or 6 months is really rough on a car every year. Condensation, corrosion, idle lubricated pivot points and bearings, and now genetically altered fuel all takes a toll. Last year I started maintaining the temperature in the garage instead of letting my random visits keep the heat on. I didn't let it drop below 38 degrees. That cost me about $90 per car.

Maintaining the heat and judicious driving looks like the best thing.

An important concern for me is my age. I don't have to preserve my cars as long as the younger guys. Thirty years from now, when I am 96, I won't look at the dog leg on my car and say "Oh, crap, its starting to rust." Of course it is not a Ford or Chrysler product, I bought a GM car. They last better under all conditions.

About these parking thoughts:

See my Packard?

post-46237-143142837285_thumb.jpg Although I am pretty talkative, there are a couple buttons one can push.

John, check out my Utica license plate!

Bernie

post-46237-143142837283_thumb.jpg

What a shame to be driving that nice old 57 Buick on salted roads. The car looks solid and the paint and chrome could be polished carefully and waxed and look good. I hope somebody can get him to sell it before it is ruined. Sounds like it probably won't happen though.