Dodge Star Truck

Guest earl specht

Guest earl specht

Hello. Can someone help in determining the type of truck this is.

My Grandfather created a grammar school bus out of an old Dodge Star truck in the early 20th century.

I believe this is the truck he created, but not sure.

One of the students in that era knew that it was made from a Dodge Star truck, he rode in it to school and back, with my Grandfather being the driver at that time.

The student lived right in back of our ranch so knew about the construction.

I am hoping that it is this truck, we do not have any other photo.

Any help would be appreciated.

post-104493-143142835559_thumb.jpg

Guest earl specht

Hello keiser31, thanks for your comments. Looking at the photo you sent and the photo that I have it sure looks now like a Ford Model TT. The side window and especially the rear tire (which is thicker than the front one) look exactly the same. I think you are correct. My Grandfather did have autos and trucks early at our ranches in the Antelope Valley (CA), and I do not remember anyone talking about a Dodge, but always about Fords. I know we had the autos, and we had a number of trucks. I do remember the black ones, but its been too long ago. I know one of his model t's was dumped into a ditch that we used for trash, it was spent. Never did get to the bottom of the ditch, have tried.

He made out good with our grain farms and had a number of autos, I know of a 1911 Buick, Melehel, and Regal, and in 1925 a Jewett. I know that also because I found a front nameplate from the Jewett in the ground at the old ranch in 2009. Its blue and white.

Guest earl specht
To change my previous statement....There were Dodge Brothers emblems that used the six pointed star as their logo, but the vehicle was not called the "Dodge Star".

You are so right, the star logo is what the man remembered but I think an other truck back then. He is 94 years old so I can understand that, say 68 years ago. But he still e-mails me, so will ask him about it. Maybe a bell will ring.

I found this on the net:

Dodge Star: The original Dodge was a circle, with two interlocking triangles forming a

six-pointed star in the middle; an interlocked "DB" was at the center of the

star, and the words "Dodge Brothers Motor Vehicles" encircled the outside edge.

Although similar to the Star of David, the Dodge brothers were not Jewish.

Although the "Brothers" was dropped from the name for trucks in 1929 and cars in

1930, the DB star remained in the cars until the 1939 models were introduced.

Thanks again

Guest earl specht

Wow that is some emblem! Nice.

I found another school photo of one of the converted trucks, now trying to figure out what type of truck it was and when.

I am sure you would know which one it was.

The text on the photo says: "Anderson, Chester with Del Sur school bus 1935 or 36"

I was looking at the California License plate (if it is California) and could not find it in the issued types. It is about the same type as the licenses issued in the 20's though.

Maybe they issued different licenses for trucks and autos..

post-104493-143142842515_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DodgeKCL

I think I put this on the net before but I think I've decifered what the Dodge 'star' was. Learning the classics such as Greek was very much in vogue at the turn of the 20th century. I think the two triangles are Greek letters 'D',from where we get our modern Romantic alphabet letter D. They represent the two brothers, John Dodge and Horace Dodge,intertwined to represent 'brothers'. That's why in most of the 'stars', each triangle is in a different color. If it meant anything else I believe it would be in one color and would not look like 2 triangles intertwined,just a star. Also unfortunetly at this time in North American history, there was much anti jewish feelings. Even as late as the 1950s I saw signs excluding Jews from beaches and golf courses. Many clubs like Rotary and Lions have just let Jews in their clubs in the last 40 or so years. So thinking that the Dodge star is the Star of David would have John and Horace rolling in their graves. Tough to accept but I think it's the only solution.

Guest DodgeKCL

Henry Ford was very anti jewish. So much so that he said so in his 'Ford News' that the company printed for several years. Hitler got hold of several of these pamphlets and had them reprinted in high German and had them handed out in schools. Ford's anti jewish feelings are also mentioned in Hitler's biography 'Mien Kampf'. So to this day Jews will not buy Ford products and I believe there are no Ford dealerships in Israel. I have never come across any simliar statements by ,or about, the Dodge brothers but it was a sign of the times. And they did work with, and for, Henry Ford for many years. The 1st Model Ts had many Dodge parts in them.