The things you find???

Beltfed

I found these welded to the front cross member just above the axle. I think they were some sort of stops for upward movement of the axle. I know the lever shocks are shot but what a CLANG these would have made. Someone welded them in such a way I could not reach the nuts on the frame to remove the lever shocks.

The deeper I dig, the stranger it gets!

post-88682-143142834795_thumb.jpg

Beltfed, from all your posts it appears that someone(s) has really messed things up! Lots of "undoing" to do. The only thing I can think of about those items above is that perhaps the PO had intended to install a stabilizer bar? the '40's and newer had similar brackets that housed rubber grommets that supported the stabilizer bar...trouble is there is no extra "eye" to attach the linkage.

You are correct, I don't have the extra eye. So, I will never know what the guy was thinking. It was fun getting them off as the only tool that would work was the plasma cutter. Cutting up is always an adventure with it as the molten slag falls on you and then you get to do the "I'm on fire dance".