1958 Buick Wagon Liftgate

frame30

It has been a search, a quest, for years to find the clips that retain the stainless to the lift gate window on my Estate Wagon. Having tried every source (even some in Europe) I finally realized I had to make them. So, out come the box of clips that have been gathered over the years. To my surprise, I found one that could be modified. They are the rear window clips for a 58 sedan. The modifications were all done with a hammer and a set of vice grips. It is necessary to flatten the top of the clip and the long side. With the top and long end flattened, the clip is then put in a vice grip and squeezed to approximately a 45 degree angle. Once this is done, the little "tab" on the long piece needs to be raised to "grip" the receiver tab on the lift-gate. Then insert/slide the clips to the appropriate places on the stainless and with a gentle push, they snap in to place. Amazing. Picture three shows the original clip and the one that is bent to properly work The last picture shows the little tab that needs to be slightly bent in order to get the clip to stick.post-46961-143142834476_thumb.jpg

post-46961-143142834383_thumb.jpg

post-46961-143142834408_thumb.jpg

post-46961-14314283443_thumb.jpg

post-46961-143142834453_thumb.jpg

That is excellent information. Will probably need it for my wagon restoration as well. Where did you get the replacement clip? Can you send a good picture of the clip that you used with some dimensions? That would be helpful. Thanks.

Thanks for the note. I'll be posting more pictures for Jim and will also send some material to Pete P for the 1958 Buick club/newsletter which is part of the Buick Club. If all goes well this weekend, I'll get the motor positioned up to the tranny. I'll see if one guy can do it! Cheers. Michael.

PS: Jim, I found a copy of the clips I made for the rear quarter flat window stainless trim bits. That trim needs to go on before you put the internal trim on.

• 4 weeks later...

I had some time on Sunday, so back I go to install the top and sides. Just a note: you'll have to add a little bit of metal to the large flattened piece in order for the clip to stay in the top piece of stainless. I cut a 1/4"x1/8" of 22G stainless, folded it into a "u" then flatted that on to the clip. Worked well. Oh, and just a dab of silicone in the receiving portion of the lift gate.

• 2 weeks later...

The quarter window trim is held on by a number of clips and #6 machine screws. I ground the head of the machine screws down with a dremel so that they would sit inside the rim of the stainless. The machine screw needs to be bent approximately 30 degrees. With the clip and machine screw in the trim, they are pushed through the holes in the body. The original screws used a barrel nut but mine were so rusted I just used regular machine nuts. Once the trim is snug, I cut off the excess machine screw from inside the car so that the interior trim could be applied. Pretty simple, but designing the clips took forever.post-46961-1431429115_thumb.jpg

post-46961-143142911533_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Michael! Thanks for the pictures. It looks like the wagon is coming along quite well. I noticed that you also have the linoleum installed on the rear section. Looks good from what I could see. Also, sis you get the liftgate support bracket replated? If so, how did you do it? Did you have to take them apart? I'm always interested in learning from others so I don't have to repeat mistakes made by those before me. Thanks!

Dear Jim: No, I did not have to take the braces apart for chroming. The shop took care of all of that and they look just like I gave them to them, but with new chrome. Don't know how they did it, but they look great. How is your wagon coming along? I'm hoping to drop the motor back in tomorrow (with the help of one of my daughters, I hope; as long as she won't break a nail she says, sigh) but I still don't know what the torque specs are on the motor mounts. Thoughts? Cheers. Michael.