Window 'Fuzzies" or Felt - 1st Gen

slosteve

I bought the CARS package and installed on my 63. Quality is quite good. Installing is not difficult, but it sort of tedious. The big question: Use the staples provided or sheet metal screws or rivets to fasten them? I used the staples because I am an OEM fan and rule follower but lots of guys use screws or rivets. I think each probably perform about the same. The staples are sort of a PITA.

Last summer Rubber the Right Way had a 20% off sale and I bought some 'fuzzies' from them. They came in a box from Repops Automotive Reproductions out of Mena, AR. I've yet to install them but they look very authentic. Hey, they also say "Made in America." Nothing Chinese.

Ed

OK Riviera People: I used Rubber the Right Way fuzzies. On the doors now... I riveted them. First I drilled the holes, then super duty spray adheasive then rivited them together. Not bad for a hack. Now, the 1/4 panel molding one must use the screws. It's darn near impossible to align the rivet with the hole on the top of the 1/4 panel. Screws are best for that application. Mitch

• 1 year later...
Guest dwhiteside64

Resurrecting this older thread. Question: do the door skins need to be removed to do this? I have the body manual and removed a couple screws from the chrome sash but they were stubborn and didn't wanted to lift off the door skin. Maybe they are just stuck in place but I didn't want to pull too hard and possibly damage something....

The exterior trim is screwed to the door skin but the fuzzies are stapled to the trim.  You can get that trim off without removing the door skin.  You probably have a couple of more hidden screws.  I don't know if you can get the window down far enough to remove every screw.  Removing the skin will allow you to clean and relube the tracks and clean up the gunky grease in the gears in the motor.  Removing the skin isn't that difficult if you take your time and get the screws time to soak in something like PB Blaster, then use the correct tools.

Ed

Guest dwhiteside64

Thanks for the advice Ed. I know that I need to remove the door skins anyway due to loose/damaged hardware, but I may want to tackle the fuzzies first. :)

On April 12, 2016 at 11:19 AM, dwhiteside64 said:

Thanks,  I was able to find a couple threads describing the technique.  

DW, any chance you could post links to those threads if you have them handy, I'll be doing the same thing after the summer driving season... thanks very much! Scott

Edited by cultusrider (see edit history)