Buick serial number id. Is it a 1929?

Guest Steve78

Guest Steve78

Hello all, I new to the forum and want to say it is a pleasure to be here. I am on a mission to id an old buick car as well as an old gm truck.

Lets first start with the buick. A while back a I took a look at the plate on the firewall(cowel?) and it is a Fisher body and if my memory serves me right I think (a few years ago) my research at the time told me it was a 1929 4 door sedan. Now beyond that I didn't go any further, since then though I have found a serial number on the engine which is in the location of a 1929/30 model. The serial number is 2227416. If have not yet found the location on the frame where that number is suppose to be but I have not yet dismantled it that far yet (need to get it to my house first). Can any one confirm that this is actually what I think it is? This may have been a Canadian car since it is way up here is north western Canada.

On that same note when I do actually start the restore (it's in really bad shape) is the by chance any drawings out there that shows the body wood specs/plans with measurements? I figure I may be out to lunch here but I want it try. My wood work skills are not bad so I figure it's not going to be that hard to make new bits, the reason for the plans is first of all most of the wood has rotted away over the years so there is not parts to word from, secondly my budget for this project I know is going to be almost nothing soma kit will be out of the question. Let me know if anyone knows anything.

Er

On the GM truck I am curious as to the year and model info on it. The tag in the door frame indicates that is it a Canadian built truck since it says "General Motors of Canada Limited". The model says its a HV454-30. The serial number is 454-30-70005. The engine I'd is 30250023. It does have the 6 bolt axles under it with the 20" truck rims. I think it's about 3 or 4 ton truck since it is comparable in size to the 1952 studerbaker truck my dad has. I think this truck is about a 1952 or so but I haven't been able to fine any info that matches this model number.

If anyone can shed some light on this stuff for me please let me know.

Thanks.

Guest Steve78

Thanks Mark, would the number on the Buick frame be on the top of the frame rail or the side?

The truck is a GMC truck, as far as I know it still has the original engine in it, however the engine is apart and most of it is sitting on the seat. If I go hunting here on the farm I can probably find the rest of the parts. I think all that is not in the truck is the pistons and connecting rods which used to be sitting in a box in the parts shed. With the way things go around here, things get taken apart or parked and then doesn't move again till a couple of pounds of dust is sitting on it or it becomes needed for a job....... I know there is also another old truck kicking around that is a parts truck that still has a running engine in it that is suppose to be the same engine model so that would be my backup plan.

I will try to get some pics of the stuff in the next couple of days and post them.

Guest Steve78

So here is some pics of the car as well as pics of the id plates. There is no number I can find at this point anyway on the right frame rail under the fender..... This car is sitting on a 1952 Dodge 2 ton truck that was running when parked. It will likely also be restoration project down the road.

I am also going to add some pics of the GMC truck.

post-104469-143142835313_thumb.jpg

post-104469-143142835381_thumb.jpg

post-104469-143142835395_thumb.jpg

post-104469-143142835411_thumb.jpg

post-104469-143142835426_thumb.jpg

post-104469-143142835443_thumb.jpg

post-104469-143142835458_thumb.jpg

post-104469-143142835473_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve78 (see edit history)

Guest Steve78

Well I searched high and low today for the number on the frame, I don't think it exists anymore. There is a picture of the fisher body plate above for this car. I did find this manual on a web site that shows the model and job numbers. What i am not sure of is which number on the plate they are referring to. If you go by the first number (job number 8390) then the body is a 1929-27, however is you use the body number 8410 then it's a 1929-41. See my confusion? Can anyone help?

Here is a copy of the page from the manual. I found on the web site called 1929buick.com.

post-104469-143142836332_thumb.jpg

Steve78, In 1929 there were three series, 116 on the 116" frame/chassis, 121 and 129 on there respective frames.

Series 116 engine numbers started at 222536, and series 121 and 129 started at 2240300. This shows yours is a 116"

wheelbase model. As per your chart Job No 8390 says it is a model 1929-27. Model 29-27 was a 2-door coach, Buick built

17,733 for domestic sales and 90 for export.

Guest Steve78

Rod, according to my research so far the model 20 was the 2 door sedan in the 116 series and the model 27 was a 4 door sedan in the 116 series. This one is the 4 door that is for sure, since I have 4 doors.... I don't think the plate was ever changed. It's been on the family farm for over 50 years and not moved till I moved it a few years back. Before that we can say too much.

My my info comes from this site and others. http://1929buick.com/models/index.html?action=ShowYear&year=1929

Steve, Yes your right, the 4 door sedan is Model 29-27. I went by the Seventy Years of Buick book and it has a typo error saying the two door coach is model 29-27. there were 44,345 built and 3,262 for export being Buicks most popular model

What i am not sure of is which number on the plate they are referring to. If you go by the first number (job number 8390) then the body is a 1929-27, however is you use the body number 8410 then it's a 1929-41. See my confusion? Can anyone help?

Fisher job number 8390 = Buick model number 27 (4-door sedan, 5-passenger)

Body number 8410 = 8410th Fisher job number 8390/Buick model number 27 built out of the total

Guest Steve78

Thanks guys, according to Leif's scan that puts the engine number into the right area too. The axles and spings are not in the thing right now so can't get a perfect wheel base length at this time but I am pretty sure on the model and year now.

Do you guys know if these cars usually shipped with the wire spoked wheels or the wood spoked wheels? I thought I read somewhere that the wood spoked wheels were optional in this year.

I found the front axle yesterday (tripped over it in the grass) no springs on it but what is left of wood spoked wheels are on it. I also found part of the rear axle yesterday too. It has a complete wood wheel on it. Yes I mean part of the axle, it looks as if some one took the gear carrier off the front and cover off the back the cut it in half(farmers......). I have no idea why but it looks cut not broken. Hopefully the rest of it is around somewhere. My searching time is limited for the year since we are due for snow any day now.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement wooden spokes? I see there is tons of sources for the Ford model T spokes but have yet to find then for the Buicks.

Steve: Other writers have id'ed your car as a 1929 model 29-27, through the Fisher Body plate's job number (8390). Your engine number (2227416) falls into the SECOND (of 6) 116" (Standard) wheelbase model engine block (2225361 - 2240299). Your engine is an early engine as the number is on an alum. tag riveted to the engine. Late engines had the number stamped directly onto the block.

If your car is a McLaughlin Buick, Canadian car, it likely does NOT have the serial number plate affixed to the frame behind right front wheel. The serial number was stamped on a 4" x 4" firewall plate, along with the model number and engine number (see <http://www.29buickphotos.com/Information/ID-Plates-Stickers-etc/7580335_krgGVb#!i=490094625&k=GqSdmkz>.

FYI, I run a Club for 1929 Owners and if you PM me your email address, I'll send you a "Welcome Package"

Bill McLaughlin

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Club