Transmission ID for a 1929 Franklin

Jrbrks

I remember someone talking at the Trek about some of the transmissions from 1929 having problems when they got a little mileage.These trans. were non synchro.Anyhow Franklin was very good at trying to keep the customer happy and replaced the trans. in these cars with later model trans. that were synchronized in 2nd and 3rd.I have seen this in a least two cars. I am sure someone knows more of this story than me.Maybe Tom? Happy thanksgiving to all

Yes - The T82 was the Synchromesh transmission used on 1932 & later Franklin Airmans, Series 17 and apparently the Late Olympics (?) (also Pierce Arrow).

It's a nice transmission and a wonderful addition to a 1929. I think the conversion was pretty common - I have seen lots of 1929's with the T-82.

tom

I knew I'd get in trouble for a half-baked response (I knew a Little of what I was saying...)

Jeff's invaluable response:

The Warner T82 heavy duty syncro-mesh transmission was offered by the factory as a replacement for the troublesome T3 unit that the 29 cars came with. See General Letter No. 672 attached. The T82 was only used in standard production on the V12. This transmission has a freewheeling unit, the 29 replacement does not. It is interesting that the 1932 Series 16 as well as the later Airman cars used the smaller but very similar T81 transmission. I have seen several 29 Series 13 cars with this factory replacement. It was the final solution. My 29 has its original T3 and I love driving it with its close ratio 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes second can be along way from first as many 29 owners will confirm. This is another advantage of the T82 as the ratios are more evenly divided. I have a backup T82 conversion kit for my car but will only put it in if I blow up the T3. My recommendation is that 29 owners should own 2 cars, one with the T3 and one with the T82 so they can enjoy the benefits of both. By the way I should mention that the T82 and T81 syncronizers can be returned to their original performance by increasing the tension of the syncro springs.

I have also attached General Letter No. 629 that offered the earlier Warner T77 4 speed transmission for the 29 replacement. I have not seen the T77 in a 29 and would like to hear from any one that has. Both were offered at $75.00 exchange.

I cannot insert the General Service Letter scans here, the files are too big. If anyone wants them - email me (odyrestorations@aol.com) and I will send Jeff's scans. Or I will key them in and print them here - soon(ish).

Thanks Jeff for correcting the record. Now I NEED a 1929, or two!

tom

Tom,

Now you've opened up a can of worms. For me anyway. I have a Franklin Trans. with T3A-148 on it with a casting date of 9-28-29. Also it's fitted with a Bob Green overdrive. Discounting the overdrive, is this T3A an updated version of the T3 or what? Or do all the T3's have A's on them and you just haven't mentioned that.Unfortunately I don't have a 29' to try it out in!

Bill

Tom,

Now you've opened up a can of worms. For me anyway. I have a Franklin Trans. with T3A-148 on it with a casting date of 9-28-29. Also it's fitted with a Bob Green overdrive. Discounting the overdrive, is this T3A an updated version of the T3 or what? Or do all the T3's have A's on them and you just haven't mentioned that.Unfortunately I don't have a 29' to try it out in!

Bill

The T-3A was the replacement version of the 1929 T3 and was used in Series 14 and 15 cars. T-3A's featured longer teeth for improved durability over the trouble prone T3. Series 14 sport models and some customs were fitted with the Detroit 4-speed. Series 153 Deluxe models were fitted with the Warner T-77 4-speed, which has proven to be a very durable transmission.

Thanks agin to Jeff for detail clarification.

Tom

The T-3A was the replacement version of the 1929 T3 and was used in Series 14 and 15 cars. T-3A's featured longer teeth for improved durability over the trouble prone T3. Series 14 sport models and some customs were fitted with the Detroit 4-speed. Series 153 Deluxe models were fitted with the Warner T-77 4-speed, which has proven to be a very durable transmission.

Thanks agin to Jeff for detail clarification.

Tom

My 29 has a T-77 4/speed. Whoever installed it,left the 29 emergency brake casting rivoted to the frame. I like the transmission, shifts with ease.

post-32292-143142869415_thumb.jpg

post-32292-143142869441_thumb.jpg

post-32292-143142869468_thumb.jpg

post-32292-143142869496_thumb.jpg

post-32292-143142869525_thumb.jpg

I would like to thank Tom and Jeff for providing this information on the T82 transmission identification.

Tom was kind enough to e-mail a scan of the General Letter #672.

This letter indicates the back-up light switch could not be added to the T-82 and, therefore, would no longer be functional.

I found this very helpful, as I had been going a bit crazy trying to find a back-up light switch which was no longer there.

Thanks again.

Jim