Hardtop headliner and other trim

Guest p38nut

I need to renew and reglue the headliner and other interior trim pieces in the fiberglass hardtop. I just can't figure out how to get it all apart. I have removed the screws at the bottom of the trim and find some brackets that trim is attached to but I don't know how to remove these. Any ifo or diagrams would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike

This is a major undertaking unless you are going to have an automotive fabric shop do the work and then I'm sure they will not know what they are doing or where to get the materials to do the job. To begin removal start around the rear window and remove the screws (7 screws under the rubber strip) underneath the window, that will allow the skinny clothe covered plastic piece to be removed. Next the fatter piece needs to be removed that lives at the top of the rear window. This is a difficult piece because it is not screwed down. It is put on with 5 push pins the problem it does not slip off because the open side of the "U" shaped plastic piece does not open the same direction. 3 open one direction and 2 open the other direction. If you can get one of the push pin removal tools it would help a lot. Next you have the 2 side pieces that go around the port hole. There are 2 screws that need to be removed one you just uncovered by removing the fat piece. The other screw is located at the corner where the side pegs are. Again I believe it is hidden beneath rubber molding. These side pieces where put on with 3 push pins and again they are not open in the same direction. There are 2 on the long part that are open toward the front of the car and there is another plastic piece that opens toward the top of the roof located just a little bit away from where the hard top would contact the quarter window. Again if you can reach underneath with the push pin removal tool it will help. Now under the rubber molding on the leading edge of the hard top there are (I believe) 11 screws that need to be removed. Next the 2 front pull down levers need to be removed. Be real careful with these as they are made of pot metal and if any part of it gets broken it cannot be repaired. There are screws underneath the rubber molding where the top of the window comes in contact with. Now you should have the headliner clothe loose on all the edges. There are 4 ribs holding down the clothe. One runs from side to side near the leading edge of the hard top. I believe there are 5 screws that hold that rib down. There are 3 ribs that run from the leading edge to just above the rear window. These 3 ribs are pushed into the plastic hard top at the ends and in the middle they are held firm with an "S" shaped plastic clip that partly goes around the rib and the other end of the "S" slips into slot in the hard top. You can now see the 1 inch foam that is probably falling apart because of the heat it has been exposed to. This should put you in a position to start repair work. Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

Started the repair several days ago. Man, this is a tough job. Could not pop out the push pins. Several did pop out. Did break several of the holders for the push pins. I will try to glue/hot air weld these back in. Every screw seems to be under rubber molding. I don't want to tear up any rubber molding as I try to replace the headliner. Real pain in the butt.

One of Lee Iacocca's demands on the car was that he did not want any screw heads to show. I have made a pattern from which the pieces of clothe can be cut out. If you would like it send me email via private message. You can get new push pins from Chrysler just take one with you to show the parts service man. The headliner material will take clothe that is 54 inches wide and 3 yards long. Material can cost around $50 a yard. It also requires a backing material that is used at the seams and where the ribs go through. This backing material is cheap but get heavy stuff. Again for the clothe take a piece with you when shopping. Took me a while to locate a shop that had acceptable material for me.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 11/19/2014 at 11:15 AM, Garnet & Gold said:

One of Lee Iacocca's demands on the car was that he did not want any screw heads to show. I have made a pattern from which the pieces of clothe can be cut out. If you would like it send me email via private message. You can get new push pins from Chrysler just take one with you to show the parts service man. The headliner material will take clothe that is 54 inches wide and 3 yards long. Material can cost around $50 a yard. It also requires a backing material that is used at the seams and where the ribs go through. This backing material is cheap but get heavy stuff. Again for the clothe take a piece with you when shopping. Took me a while to locate a shop that had acceptable material for me.

Hi! I am in the middle of taking the top apart and I am asking myself, what is meant by "backing material where the ribs go through"...and where to get it....

I hope there is a universal solution to this so I can use whatever material as a headliner for it.

I hope I can explain it clearly.  When you look at the head liner you will see 3 seems from front to back where the material is stitched together.  On the back side of these seems there is a second material used to provide a backing for the head liner material that you see and it forms a loop the length of the seem.  The ribs go thru this loop to hold the head liner up near the hard top.  If you have ever seen a TC with the head liner hanging down it is because the foam underneath has deteriorated and possibly the rib has broken (torn) loose from being inside the loop of backing material it ran thru.  I was going to use 1 inch foam on the underneath side of the roof (like what came on the car) but when I saw Hemi using the metal backed sound barrier material glued down to the roof I changed my mind.  Better idea for sound and heat and it wont deteriorate like the foam.

• Like 1

thanks! I almost got everything out today ( except for the upper/front part) removed 11 screws and 2 each side for the clamps...but unable to get it loose...

I thermosound proofed all of the TC so far...and was going to do the same to the hardtop...will ask Hemi about it!

thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 10:53 PM, shelbyone said:

thanks! I almost got everything out today ( except for the upper/front part) removed 11 screws and 2 each side for the clamps...but unable to get it loose...

I thermosound proofed all of the TC so far...and was going to do the same to the hardtop...will ask Hemi about it!

thanks for the tip!

it never ends.......but I am close

A64EAE81-B490-4BCC-8830-80090DCA035E.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, shelbyone said:

here's the final product...since the entire car is now double insulated 360, you dont hear anything in it anymore...its like a soundstage on wheels...the black vinyl was a little tricky to install but the work paid off...it looks stunning! 

BTW..you need 2!!! cans of color spray!!! and one can of 3M is enough for all surfaces to cover.

A789485D-E8F3-4839-BB35-2D32742DCEA9.JPG

B74D34E0-2BF5-4A49-8267-9457FDAD0068.JPG

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 9.22.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 9.22.00 PM.png

Edited by shelbyone
completion (see edit history)