Want information on the (plaid) Vinyl Trim for the lower part of the 1953 Skylark Dash ??????

Carbuff2

I had quite a time replacing the Di-noc material on my dash. I wasn't able to find any NOS or someone to make it. What I eventually did was work with a guy at a local sign shop and tried several different types of material. The problem was the compound curves of the dash and attempting to get it on without bubbles and keeping the lines straight. It sounds easier than it was. Finally got it on and not purfect but mostly happy with it.

post-61997-143142831972_thumb.jpg

post-61997-143142831978_thumb.jpg

post-61997-143142831983_thumb.jpg

That's the direction I was headed .... will meet with the vinyl sign guy tomorrow to discuss. Thanks for your responses. I thought maybe someone had reproduced this. Supposedly they use heat for the curves and bends to eliminate the wrinkles. Yours look very good to me. How hard was it to remove the dash, mine is not a frame off, I thought I would be able to install without removing the dash ........ any comments?

I need to locate a source for the Vinyl Material that was used on the lower half of the dash for the 1953 Buick, Skylark & Roadmaster.....

You mention both "Skylark" and "Roadmaster" and your picture shows a Skylark instrument panel. The OEM DI-NOC transfer was similar to a slide-off decal, not adhesive-backed, that was installed with a special cementing solution. Very difficult to install either way: instrument panel on or off.

There was supposedly only one standard OEM color for the Skylark model.....white with gray or a silver-gray (depends on who you talk to) checks. As noticeable in the picture, the OEM white transfer yellows-out after years and starts to crack. There are two sources that re-pop variations of this color/design.

Also worth mentioning is that the Roadmaster's DI-NOC was available in four colors.....red and black checks; white with blue checks; white with green checks; and white with tan checks. I do not know of anybody re-popping these colors and that is the reason the owner in Post #2 above had no choice but to go the sign shop route.

If you're looking for the Skylark color, let me know and I will post some additional info here.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Thanks for the information. Looks like the vinyl is what I am going to try. If I am satisfied, I will post some pictures. Being a printer, I was able to duplicate on the computer the checkerboard design exactly and it can be printed any two colors with a clear sealer that will give it a gloss shine ...... so here goes. Thanks again, paul

Carbon Fiber is readily available an looks quite nice but it does not have the 53 Buick pattern available so it will not look correct.

• 5 weeks later...

Being a printer by trade, I was able to recreate the original pattern and had it output into Vinyl which was clear coated when finished .... I have installed (while still in the car) 1/2 RH side of dash, and both window moldings, looks good, not perfect but very nice ..... now the big thing is to do the LH side of the dash where the gauges are trying not to get any wrinkles. Use water and a heat gun (hair dryer works) to make it easy to install as it makes the material soft and pliable ......... will post pictures when done in about 2 weeks. Paul