1936 Buick 40 Series Sidemount Fenders

Guest KeithElwell

Guest KeithElwell

Got a few questions for the forum.

I had been looking unsuccessfully for years for a right front sidemount fender for my 1936 Buick 40 Series Business coupe.

Then at the last Chickasha old swap meet I found a pair of rusty sidemount fenders. And at another swap meet found a decent right front non-sidemount fender.

I hired a local outstanding body man to make one good right sidemount fender from the two. Years ago I had found a good left sidemount fender.

The body man is now finished with the "new" fender and has painted it to match my car.

Now for the questions:

How should the inner part of the sidemount fender (the well) be finished? I was thinking it would be just painted the same as the rest of the car but the body man is suggesting black undercoat.

Also, what is recommended to finish the underside of all fenders? Again, painting like the car makes sense to me but undercoat there would be ok with me more so than in the sidemount fender well.

I am not building a show car, just a driver. But I want it to look presentable and I haven't placed a wheel/tire in a well yet and all the covers to see how they go in and whether the well is exposed or not. Advice?

Also, I will be posting in the for sale section for the rusty left sidemount fender and a pair of rusty rear fenders and my restored very nice non-sidemount right fender that I will no longer need.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KeithElwell

Thanks Mike. Yes fortunately I have managed to find all the fender support hardware and spare attach hardware. You are correct that there is a stout support J support bracket under the fender and another angle bracket that bolts to the frame. I understand that the factory side mounted cars had heavier springs under the front end to deal with the extra weight.