Pulling the dash loose.

On the outside corners of my 48 Travelers (Windsor) dash the windlacing and some of the interior material is tightly sandwiched between the dash and the door posts. I will need to pull the dash loose to remove it and to allow for the new material to be installed. Is there a way to do this without major surgery?

I would think if you simply take the very outside corner screws out you should be able to slightly pry the dash so that the upholstery can slide out.

These are located under the dash at the lower outside corners.

To remove the dash completely would be a huge job.

You will have to probably pull the whole dash as there are screws along the top of the dash under the windsheild glass trim moulding that will prevent the dash from tilting out even after removing the two lower 1/2" bolts.

Not to mention the array of stiff cables to detach.

I am thinking that all you want to do is slip the upholstery out.

If it were me i would just take the offending bolts out and pry a bit while pulling on the material.

I don't see the need to tilt the dash. To completly remove it or even to tilt it will involve the wiring, wiper motor, vent, defroster ducts etc.

I guess I cannot guarantee my suggestion will work but I would be inclined to try it first.

I just removed the dash from my 48 parts car and I doubt that I could get it back in and salvage all of the components without rewiring the thing.

Success!

I loosend the screws across the top of the dash and the two bolts on each corner under the dash. Turns out that after the windlacing and the interior material that was sewn to the windlacing in that particular area was removed there is a pretty decent gap of about a 1/4" there at all times. What was holding things up is the small metal nails used to attach the windlacing to the tack board along the perimiter of the door. The material was put in prior to the installation of the dash and since the nails they used were longer than the gap was wide they would not back out far enough to be pulled out. What I ended up doing is backing the nails out as far as possible until they touched the dash. I then slid a long thin bladed standard screw driver in and up against the center of each of the backed out nails striking the screw driver with the flat of my hand bending the nail allowing it to be pushed out sideways.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Jack - nice to get a win once and a while.

Bob - Fortunately I have a gent that has been doing interiors for over 50 years coming out of retirement to do mine. I'm pretty sure he will have a way or two to make it work. I can do a lot of things but I do know my limits. He will be doing the install in my shop so I'm looking forward to seeing and helping with the install. Should be interesting.

Dave