1915 Dashboard - what wood?

Guest Al Brass

Guest Al Brass

Hi guys,

I have to make a new wooden dash for my '15 CX24 because I finally located the correct switch and it is a different dimension to the '16 switch I have been using. My question is, what wood was used? Was it solid or was it a ply?

Thanks and regards

Al

Al, I have an early 1916 D-45 which has a wood firewall. One might want to call it a plywood board that was machined into the required shape, but, they would be wrong in thinking that. The finished board has a veneer on at least the engine side of the board and solid boards that are tongue and grooved together to get the required width. The material that was used in the body framing of both the open and closed cars at that time was more than likely White Ash. This wood was very hard and straight grained. It also machined very nicely. You should be able to find White Ash material in the appropriate thickness and have it planed to the finished requirement for your dash board. That is the way I'd go for what you are wanting to do.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Guest Al Brass

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I will see if I can find some white ash here but I don't think it will be a commonly stocked wood here. Is the D45 firewall painted or wood finish? I am picking it might be painted.

The '15 has a wood firewall too but it is painted black, so the actual wood type is not that visible. Any thoughts on whether the '15 dash should be painted or wood finish?

Regards

Al

Edited by Al Brass (see edit history)

Al, the firewall on my D-45 is painted. The hood, fenders, radiator shell, and splash aprons were painted Black. The engine side of the firewall appears to have been painted Black also. With this car being highly original and close to 100 years taking its toll on everything, what is left appears to have been painted Black. These early day body builders were just pretty darn good at what they put together. Tongue and grooved joints were glued and nailed and in the case of the firewall, had a veneered covering that hid the joints - I guess we could call that high tech for their times.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Al,

I am not sure the 15 and 16 models would be the same. I have a 15 C25 speedster, but it did not come with the original dash. My 13 touring had a walnut veneered dash with solid walnut trim on top of the doors. If you have other wood trim, my guess is that it would match.

Just my $0.02.....