1964 Buick Wildcat - Engine Removal Tips

Guest mrdibbles

Guest mrdibbles

Hey Guys-

My winter project is nearly upon me so I'm coming here before I start turning wrenches. I wanted to see if anyone could provide best practices, and/or the step-by-step process, for removing the engine and transmission from my 1964 Buick Wildcat. The vehicle is equipped with the 4-speed manual transmission. I've done this work before but never on the Wildcat. If I can learn from other's experiences that'd be great. All insights are appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt-

Are you going to restore the entire engine compartment, or just make a few repairs and replace the engine? I only ask cause it might make a difference as to saving exhaust pile bolts vs replacing. Likewise cutting hoses vs trying to salvage for reuse. Removing pumps vs tying them off to the side. Etc.

Guest mrdibbles

The engine bay is already detailed, clean, and original (with factory wax pencil markings). I'll leave it that way and use the time while the motor is out to replace the heater core too. I've pulled and reinstalled engines before on mostly military vehicles. All of which were made easy because engines already come with lifting eyes, the radiator and grill comes off with just a few bolts, and the entire powerpack lifts out in a jiffy (start to finish like 60-minutes). Motor mount bolts... doubtful I'll forget those. The question really is other than fan, radiator, etc is there anything else that needs to be removed structurally to pull the motor and trans out (other than the obvious)? I was looking at the front supports behind the grill as an example and wondered if I should pull any of that to make the room I'll need. Thanks!

A lot depends on whether you're pulling the trans with the engine or leaving the trans in place. Radiators are easy enough to remove. An engine hoist combined with an engine load leveler makes it even easier. Do the intake manifolds unbolt from the heads easier than unbolting them from the exhaust pipes? If the raditor core support is anything like the one on my '64 Riviera, you'll be better off leaving it in place. Be sure to mark the hood bolts before removing them. One of the harder things you'll run into is trying to get the bolts for the water pump out of the aluminum front cover when you start tearing into the engine.

Ed

The heater core is removed from under the dash on a '65. Not sure about a '64.

I've had to drill out a few bolts after they break of when removing the water pump. Something to take slowly.

Good Luck