hydra matic transmission problem

Guest bouffeurdechoux

Guest bouffeurdechoux

hello all .

i have a cadillac 1963 with hydra matic transmission and i can't go foward , only rear . is somebody can help me .

sorry for langage n i'm french . thanks

Guest bouffeurdechoux
If you can get a GM Factory manual for that particular transmission there should be a chart that tells what parts are applied in forward but not in reverse. You can tell what should be applied but is not working.

A quick thought, is there enough transmission fluid in the unit?

the level is full . we have rebuild this transmission with rebuild kit and we have change friction discs but in the kit we haven't steel discs ....

the level is full .

Just curious, how were you able to rebuild a Controlled Coupling HydraMatic without a service manual? Set up and adjustment through the rebuild plus the linkage adjustments are very crucial to successful operation. For myself, even having been in the automotive industry for nearly fifty years and somewhat familiar with your transmission, I would never take on the job without a road map ( manual ).

Guest bouffeurdechoux
Just curious, how were you able to rebuild a Controlled Coupling HydraMatic without a service manual? Set up and adjustment through the rebuild plus the linkage adjustments are very crucial to successful operation. For myself, even having been in the automotive industry for nearly fifty years and somewhat familiar with your transmission, I would never take on the job without a road map ( manual ).

i have this : 56-64 hydramatic transmission service

Edited by bouffeurdechoux (see edit history)

As most people don't touch those Hydramatics, you probably will not get here better advises as I gave you in French!

By the way, it is not a problem if you did not get the steel discs. Unless they are deeply scratched, you can use them again. It's what I do when I rebuild an Hydramatic. I noticed also that the steel discs for the rear unit available now are flat and not wawed as they were in the original set-up. Maybe you noticed a slot on each metal disc: these slots must be aligned, otherwise the behavior during gear changes is not consistent.

Guest bouffeurdechoux

êtes vous roger zimmermann de l'accf forum ? je suis l'ami de Dcars (pascal ) chez qui est entreposée la cad et chez qui nous avons tenté un rebuild . j'ai pu lire votre topic sur accf et en effet , nous n'avons pas ouvert le front unit coupling .