58 Super Riviera 4-door hardtop upholstery pattern

Dynaflash8

Can anybody send me a picture or describe the upholstery pattern/s available in a 1958 Buick Super 4-door hardtop? I had two Special's back in the day (1960s and 1970s) but I think the Super had a different upholstery pattern. I called up a brochure on eBay and the pictures showed four different patterns, but did not tie them to models from what I could see. Thanks

Yes, I really was interested in the blue car that is on eBay and only 100 miles from me. But the owner is in California this week and while the clock has been ticking somebody overseas has taken an interest. I was told today that the guy overseas is already checking shipping. I could bid full price before he does as of an hour ago, but I've been burned badly two times buying a car I haven't seen, and I refuse to do that again. I think I've lost this car, and after I saw it, it might not matter, but the guy overseas still hasn't made the full price bid to get it. If you have time go on ebay and look at the interior. I've owned two Specials years ago, and seen a Century recently, and the upholstery in this Super is nothing like those cars.

From what I can tell, it looks as if the car has been repainted totally. Interior light door jam switches should not be body color, they would be galvanized steel in color. Also, if you look at the trunk open pictures, the lip on the trunk around the edge is a different color than the car. I'm not sure about the upholstery, but I don't think Buick in 1958 had a tuck and roll option, but could be wrong. Be wary of this car, just by the paint. You may not know what other hidden items are out there on it. Just my opinion...

OK thanks for the clarification; I don't need to refer to the upholstery book for this. I used to have a 58 4 door Super with original interior, and the "roll" pattern sewn in looks totally correct. On mine it had very fine stripes in the cloth, but I cannot see from these pictures if that is so but it looks like maybe so. From what I can tell, I have no reason to believe that is not original and fantastic original interior.

As far as the paint, the seller does state that the blue portion was repainted once.

He says in the description that it has been repainted. I found a brochure on eBay with open pages and there was one option that looked similar to this car, but you can't read what model it was available in. My '58s had a nylon brocade designed material on the seats. Thanks for looking.

Thanks very much lancemb. You have verified what I thought I saw in the brochure I found for sale on eBay today. Now I need to hope the overseas customer doesn't come through and I get to see and drive that car next week. As of this minute, the car is still listed for sale on eBay. According to the books (NADA and Old Car Value Guide) the car is a little overpriced. I've got to be careful there, because my wife wants Air, and it'll cost around $2,000 minimum to put Vintage Air into that car. Again thanks for the comeback. Now you can tell me if anybody makes a rebuilt oil pump or an electric setup for the windshield wipers. I had many bad experiences with my two '58s back when I didn't have two nickels to rub together, but the worst one was when the oil pump (correct, not the fuel pump on this car) gave up and started pouring oil into cylinder #1, causing the car to miss badly and blow raw oil out the tailpipe and lay a smoke screen that would have run off any mosquito's. :) How can I be nostalgic for another '58 now at my advanced age.....well, my kids remember them fondly....lol

… well gee, how convenient. The guy is selling the car and what the heck, goes to California while the action is going on.

Anyways, we believe he has the option and can pause the auction or even cancel it then put it back up when he gets back. I would contact him and ask if he will do this since folks most likely want to see the car if they can or have him readily available. Regarding the overseas market, it's a sad fact but one thinks they have enough of our Detroit metal as it is.

I did ask him to give me a chance, but so far no answer. I called a dealer about a 1956 with factory air. He was super rude when I asked a couple of questions about the car and finally said, "I sell most of my cars overseas, so I don't care if you buy it or not." That is another low place that our hobby has come to.

Thanks very much lancemb. You have verified what I thought I saw in the brochure I found for sale on eBay today. Now I need to hope the overseas customer doesn't come through and I get to see and drive that car next week. As of this minute, the car is still listed for sale on eBay. According to the books (NADA and Old Car Value Guide) the car is a little overpriced. I've got to be careful there, because my wife wants Air, and it'll cost around $2,000 minimum to put Vintage Air into that car. Again thanks for the comeback. Now you can tell me if anybody makes a rebuilt oil pump or an electric setup for the windshield wipers. I had many bad experiences with my two '58s back when I didn't have two nickels to rub together, but the worst one was when the oil pump (correct, not the fuel pump on this car) gave up and started pouring oil into cylinder #1, causing the car to miss badly and blow raw oil out the tailpipe and lay a smoke screen that would have run off any mosquito's. :) How can I be nostalgic for another '58 now at my advanced age.....well, my kids remember them fondly....lol

Glad I can be of help. Price may be a little high, but not too bad if it is rust free; the nice original interior and lack of rust goes a long way. If the paint was good and original then I'd say it was really a good price, but with a repaint that is proclaimed in the ad as less than perfect you never know how it will polish up or look up close unless you see it. However something else to keep in mind is that it is only 100 miles away, so not needing a long and expensive transport is a big plus as well.

I am not sure about the oil pump, as I have always had good luck on the 57-58's and haven't had to source one (although I have an NOS one for backup).

I can tell you that I wouldn't bother with an electric wiper motor unless you plan on doing lots of long distance driving. I have heard that the 57 Chevy motor (electric and I think reproduced) can be made to work but cannot confirm. I can say that when the vacuum motor is rebuilt and getting getting good vacuum from the engine that it is sufficient in heavy rain. I was caught driving in a torrential downpour with my 57 while in Ames for the 2010 national BCA meet and the stock wipers did okay with a rebuilt motor. However, I have also found that a liberal application of Rain-X is sufficient in most scenarios as well. I have yet to rebuild the wiper motor in my 58 and have also gotten caught in a torrential downpour with it earlier this summer, and the coatings of Rain-X worked just fine for me. However, you may have a different preference or comfort level.

lancemb, yes the wipers do just great until or unless the oil pump/vacuum pump goes out. They you have a lot more than windwhield wiper problems. Actually I never tried them after the oil pump blue up. This was in 1964 or 1965 when the car wasn't all that old. I guarantee if it goes out like mine did, you won't drive it far, missing and blowing great clouds of smoke out the back. That is the scariest thing about a '58, and I think '57 as well. If you can't find a NOS oil pump what do you do then? I suppose you can block off the vacuum and either have no windshield wipers or go over to electric. I'm not into Rainex....hate that stuff. What a dumb idea that was in the first place! There is an oil pump rebuild kit on eBay, but that is, I think, only the oil pump side and not the vacuum windshield wiper side.

As for the repaint, I didn't quite read into it that it was a less than decent paint job. In any case I'm looking for a driver tour car for the Florida end. I left the Oldsmobile in Virginia as my summer tour car. I'll never build another show car, especially since I'm 76 now. I know pictures lie, but this car looks great to me, but agree it is high. Having to install air condition is the worst and most costly part of buying this car. Thanks for your comments; you've been very helpful to me.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

I did ask him to give me a chance, but so far no answer. I called a dealer about a 1956 with factory air. He was super rude when I asked a couple of questions about the car and finally said, "I sell most of my cars overseas, so I don't care if you buy it or not." That is another low place that our hobby has come to.

…. yes, I usually wear my old baseball catcher shin guards before talking with these guys just in case :(_

oh, and it has been my experience that original 50 and early 60 style completely stock A/C systems and especially when used with the newer mandated refrigerants are marginal in performance at best. Perhaps someone would like to elaborate this point since it is a reasonable issue of concern with mr. dynaflash8.

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

I understand that Classic Air in Tampa, Florida can change the condenser, the compressor and some other parts to the new "hot rod air" style compressor, the new and better condenser intended for A-134 and overcome the pitfalls of the oldtime compressor and condenser. They can also sell you a correct but updated and rebuildable compressor if you want a show car instead of a tour/driver car. Our Oldsmobile has Vintage or otherwise called "hot rod" air in it and it words good on hot days, but not so good if you just want a moderated coolness from the unit. It will freeze us out of the car on a 75 degree day. Just can't warm it up, but it's great on 80somethng to 90something days.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

It sold overseas (where else) I believe. It was 112 miles away and I could not get to see it. I did really want it, but I learned the hard way never to bid on a car sight unseen. I couldn't even send an inspector or anything. The car was locked up in West Palm Beach, the owner was in California at meetings, his brother couldn't get off work, his uncle was fishing in the keys. They had a week to let me in, but wouldn't/couldn't and on the last day somebody paid the full price, which is what I expected. This looked like a super cherry car and I could have driven it home without shipping costs. The story of my life.

Don't fuss too much over it if I was you. Perhaps underneath it all, they wanted to get it as far away as possible from them after the sale for many reasons. But I can bet you for sure someone is now around and available to open up to make access to the car... hugh?

After my long ago experience with two '58 Buicks I'm not very sure I'd want another anyway. I also had a '56 back in 2003-2007 and I am not sure I want another one of those. I knew a guy who drove a 53 Super until it was literally falling apart and it still ran great. In fact, he wrecked it, and when the tow truck came they couldn't get the engine to turn off. What I really wanted to find was a 55 four door hardtop...initially, but they are so expensive. A Special did not have the 322 nailhead, so I'm about to just give up.

Well, I have had 5 1957 Buicks of one model or the other one time or another and have never really had anything major or bad happened and I know it was not just luck. They are decent and solid cars and besides you will most likely not be driving your collectable everyday of the week like back in the day. As regards to a 58 Buick, it's just a 57 Buick dressed in a tuxedo otherwise no difference. Keep looking and you will find a good one for a good price.