Oil can

Rogillio

post-100407-143142826392_thumb.jpg

Oops. I was so excited to find an oil can on Ebay and I won the bid at like $13. It came in today....the dang thing is miniature! My wife was like, 'oh how cute!' I was disgusted. Guess I should have asked for dimensions.

I thought I had posted a pix of a DB car that showed an oil can but can't find the thread.

In all seriousness you didn't do bad on it. Looks like it's solid copper and due to the design it's possibly Civil War era.

Have you checked the bottom of it with a magnifying glass ? I had one years ago that dated to "Feby 1865" but the detailed stamping was so faint I could barely see it with a jewelers loop. I still have no idea how they stamped it that small back then...

Small shop or sewing oil cans are handy. I use mine on my clippers when the wife cuts my hair. Works great

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I looked at the can closely and the neck and lower end of the spout is copper....but the can is steel as is the rest of the tube. Not sure why they made the neck/threads/end of tube copper. It looks like the can had some sort of silver plating that has mostly worn off.

At any rate, it is a very cool can. I have it on my desk at work for a conversation piece.

• 2 weeks later...