1955 Carpet Quandry

Paul Falabella

post-54093-143142825527_thumb.jpg Photo shows present loop carpet which I know is incorrect. Samples from SMS show tight loop(Daytona and Grospoint?) Strip on left in lighter green is from the footrest which is barely visible below the rear of the front seat when installed. It appears to be a short mohair. It appears to be sufficiently worn to be original. Many have said Daytona is correct, some have said Grospoint or something called Roxpoint is correct. Would the footrest be carpeted different? Anyone know for sure? Or maybe got an original carpeted Roady that can verify ? Don't want to buy carpet twice.

Thanks in advance.

first, facts:

Originally mine had "Roxpoint" ( very tight loop ).

I've got SMS Daytona loop in mine now.

My two door lacks the rear foot rest present in four doors

secondly, opinion:

I think that Daytona is close or an equivalent.

In your photo;

I believe what looks like Mohair, is actually Roxpoint with the top of the loop completely worn away.

I don't believe the foot rest would have a different carpet.

The more I think about it, I doubt if that footrest would have worn evenly without leaving one loop. It really does look like a short nap Saxony style. I don't think the dealer album even shows carpeting. That would help. Probably go with the lighter green Daytona. Not going to Pebble with this one anyway!

That's a good point. If Roxpoint is a tighter loop than Daytona, then sample "C" from SMS might be closer I would think. Any install problems with the SMS carpet set?

Perfect fit.

11 years later it's holding up well.

Although the color is slightly faded

I'm happy with it.

As I am with my SMS seat material and SMS door panels

(no fade on the seats nor door panels)

Paul, I don't know what is correct for your Roadmaster, but comparing Daytona closely to Roxpoint, you will see differnces even though the loops and density may be the same. Roxpoint has both horizontal and vertical rows; Daytona has horizontal and diagonal rows.

Willie

So Willie, in the SMS samples you think the lower tan(avail. in green) swatch is closest to original? What do you have in your machines? And can you think of any reason the footrest would be covered in that stiff, short, plush. It is closer in color to the light green sample and this is making the color selection harder too. The master body book seems to show only one green color carpet available for several interior trims. I would assume it to be a darker green. But not sure.

And the Wilton does look like a good option.

Paul, my Centurys have Daytona and for sure that is original to that model. Yours may have come with Roxpoint as used on some Cadillac models. There is no footrest in mine, so I can't comment. In the 1980's I bought some yardage of Roxpoint from a sample (Cadillac supplier), but it did not look enough like the original Daytona...finally found the Daytona from a Chevy supplier. Daytona in available green would be good as long as it compliments the rest of the car and most judges know less than we do. Wilton would look too 'fuzzy' IMHO.

Willie

I came across the Wilton when trying to match carpet for my '49. Yeah, it is a bit 'fuzzy' looking, but for the '49 that's correct. SMS cut-pile wool samples looked too uniformly smooth and modern with no 'color texture'. Paul's footrest sample looks just like the original carpet in my '49, except mine's a salt & pepper gray.

Edited by Wheelnut (see edit history)

This is a shot of the carpet on the back of the front seat of the '49 Super. First shot is from below the foot area where it curves under and would have been shaded. In the other shot the seatback is tilted forward to show the protected area of carpet underneath (you can see where the sunlight has faded the exposed area). This the original carpet in wool or maybe a hog's hair wool.

It's definitely a short nappy pile. Not at all like many of the current thicker plush offerings. Don't know exactly when Buick shifted to the loop carpet or synthetics.

I'd contact SMS or Hirsch and see if they'll look at your photo for a recommendation. They may have access to some NOS of that.

post-97678-143142830807_thumb.jpg

post-97678-143142830813_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All. What was the outcome on the carpet Quandry??? I have heard that Grosspoint was the carpet that was original to the 55 Super. From my investigation, SMS seems to be the only carpet supplier that has that option. Since I will probably be going with Black, that should be easy enough to find.

Tony M

Guest 53 Roady

Our 53 76R carpet is gone except for a little bit on the side panels. The interior is red leather with faded charcoal? pleat insets. It appears that the carpet was black. If any of you can specify what we need please advise. Thanks Pat

The only place where the carpet in question was, is on the bar/footrest on the lower rear of the front seat. This bar may only be on cars with power seats. Maybe the Atlanta factory had some left over from previous years.. Maybe this part was made in another plant. As you can't even see the part unless your head is on the floor, I will probably just go with Daytona for everywhere. I'll just take my chances at Pebble Beach!post-54093-143142882895_thumb.jpg

post-54093-143142882861_thumb.jpg

post-54093-143142882869_thumb.jpg

Hello All. What was the outcome on the carpet Quandry??? I have heard that Grosspoint was the carpet that was original to the 55 Super. From my investigation, SMS seems to be the only carpet supplier that has that option. Since I will probably be going with Black, that should be easy enough to find.

Tony M

I saw your thread asking what color.

As far as what your car had originally (red or black) I'm not sure there is a definitive answer.

If, I had your interior colors; I would go with black

Looks like I will be contacting SMS for a Daytona sample as well. It would be interesting to hear from somebody who has judged these cars in the past. I,m thinking about having the car judged next year in Springfield at the National meet. Don,t know which class yet. Had it in the driven class last year, everybody thought that I should have had it in another class. Maybe "Modified" . Only thing that changed is the paint. Everything else is original or replaced with NOS.

Tanks Tank

Thanks guys. I will probably start another thread asking about the best class to enter. The car is definitely nowhere near a 400 pointer. but....I would like to know what the judges view on the carpet. Is the concenses that the correct carpet should be "Grosspoint" or "Daytona" ?