1956 Thunderbird ( Sunset coral ) ****SOLD****

28,000 miles since body off restoration , I just took off the valley pan and replaced that andhad the carb rebuilt. New rear main seal, oil pan gasket, trans gasket. re- chromed the bumpers, neutral safety switch,

New carpet, new fuel pump, new master cylinder, new brake cylinders and brake hoses , new rear bumper brackets,

new oil tube and dipstick, new radiator hoses , thermostat, gas and brake pedals, i have all receipts for all work done,new outside mirrors

original factory invoice and orig. bill of sale from 1956, car had a total redo in 1987 .Have paperwork from that with pictures.Also has both tops.

Can take more pics upon request.

Car is in Clinton Twp. , Michigan 48035

27,000.00 OBO

post-100205-143142824568_thumb.jpg

post-100205-143142824595_thumb.jpg

post-100205-143142824621_thumb.jpg

post-100205-143142824647_thumb.jpg

post-100205-143142824672_thumb.jpg

post-100205-143142824697_thumb.jpg

post-100205-143142824736_thumb.jpeg

Edited by bob duffer
Car is sold (see edit history)

Early 'Birds are an interesting car to sell, and you can't get frustrated if someone doesn't jump on it immediately.

You have it fairly priced, it's an unusual color that will appeal to someone, but there are a lot of early Thunderbirds for sale at any one time. Thus, it's somewhat of a buyer's market, not only in price, but in what options they want. Thus, if someone wanted a black '55 with three speed, then they start looking for that particular car, and chances are soon they'd find it.

Good luck with the sale, these are fun cars at fair prices when you look at other two-seat offerings in what is loosely called a "sports car"....and you have a nice one to offer....

By the way, this is not conjecture....I had a beautiful '56, restored, both tops, after market air, all options....and tried and tried to sell it, with no luck...finally took it to a local dealer, he gave me $1000 less than I was asking for car, a lady saw me going into his lot (the deal took all of about 3 minutes to make, he knows me and didn't even drive it), pulled in, and bought the car as I was leaving with a friend.....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

I agree with David--early 'Birds are some of the most perplexing cars on the market. They remain popular, they're nice cars to own and drive, club support is awesome, they're easy to fix, and they'll go cross-country at modern speeds. Yet they're tough to sell. He's correct in saying that there are always a lot of them for sale, which is a big part of it. Go to any auction and there will be at least a dozen. Hemmings.com has 30 or 35 pages of them listed. And I tell just about every person who comes in looking for one to name the year, color, and options they want, and I'll find them that exact car for $30-32,000.

Personally, I think your car is priced right and should sell sooner or later. It won't sell quickly if your only advertising venue is this forum, but eventually someone may stumble upon it using a search engine. I typically put all my relevant AACA-caliber cars here, but to date, I've sold only one through this forum, which is a success rate of less than 2%. I do like showing the cars here and it's always the first place I advertise my cars, but to get maximum exposure for a car like this, you're going to need to go broad spectrum with your advertising, and that's going to cost some money.

And yes, pink might be a factor. I really dig it because it's the ultimate expression of '50s cool. But there are a lot of guys who are just too "manly" to drive a pink car. So you're talking about finding a buyer who wants a pink car AND a Thunderbird AND isn't tempted by all the other cars on the market that might be closer to home (shipping costs), with more options, in better shape, or cheaper. That's not quite a needle in a haystack, but it's at least a needle in a 5-gallon bucket of nails.

And just to toot my own horn a little, if you'd like some help marketing it, I'd be honored to have a pink Thunderbird in my inventory. We waive the listing fee for AACA members, too, so it doesn't cost you a penny to put professional marketing muscle behind it. Just a thought...

Good luck!

Matt, you make some good points about selling

(and sometimes lack of sales) on the AACA Forum.

I check it regularly, but there are SO MANY things for

sale in one huge catch-all category that ads disappear

to the nether pages in just a few days.

It seems as if our forum should be organized better--

categories broken down into more specifics. At least,

CARS FOR SALE, PARTS FOR SALE, CARS WANTED,

AND PARTS WANTED. Or better yet, do away with the

big-lump category and use all of the smaller classifications

that we already have. Doing so would make the volume smaller

in each classification, and should make things easier to find.

I know of no other high-volume internet site that lumps

EVERYTHING in a single category. What do other users think?

Guest jim rosenthal

I think this car is lovely and if I had ANY room left I'd be on it. Stick it out. If it doesn't sell now, it will in the spring.

Guest jim rosenthal

And if you want to trade it for a VERY good original 1980 Mercedes 280GE with 35,000 miles on it, four-speed, very clean and well-kept, we should talk.

Guest AlCapone

Wayne here. How about a 1931 Chevrolet, Independance, 4 door,excellent condition, all new Firestone WW, a previous AACA, award winner.

Guest AlCapone

If you send me a private message with your email address I will send you pictures. I am in Sarnia Ontario, one mile from Port Huron Michigan. Car was purchased in Grosse Point Woods as I recall. I also have a private collection of 1920-1930's Fords and Chryslers. I rarely ever sell my cars but my wife has fond memories of a 56 Thunderbird in her childhood. Regards, Wayne

p.s I could also send it to someone to post as I am computer illiterate.

Guest AlCapone
Bob, I appreciate your modesty compared to the

yellow '56 Thunderbird ad that is also on this forum.

And your price is much more realistic! This is what

the hobby is all about.

All the best to you on your sale.

What does the yellow thunderbird have to do with this ad ?

Wayne