1947 Lincoln Zephyr

Guest Snakewill

Guest Snakewill

Just purchased a 47 Zephyr for winter project and need help. 2 questions. My VIN number starts 5EH, is this correct? Second, is their a recommendation to find NOS or an Internet site like "Chevs of the 40s" for Chevrolets?

thanks

Snakewill,

There are no sources quite like "Chevs of the '40's" for Lincolns because they were made in much smaller numbers. There are several vendors listed on the LZOC "Sources" page who have substantial inventories of parts collected over many, many years. You might also consider joining the LZOC. They almost always have parts vendors at their meets and the personal contacts you make will be invaluable in helping you finish your project.

Guest Snakewill

Thank you for the response. I just finished a 47 Chev Aerosedan and parts were readily available through vendors and ebay. Always look for NOS when possible. I will look at it as a challenge and just assume the restoration may take longer.

Thanks for the referral. I will look into it.

The serial numbers for 1947 went from 7H152840 to 7H174289. This number is stamped in frame rail next to the left front engine mount. The 5EH prefix was used for post-war parts unique to the '46 to '48 cars. I think some where along the line the Body Tag on the fire wall got confused with the serial number. The serial number is also stamped in the frame near the left rear shock absorber and on the transmission casting near the clutch inspection plate.

Guest Snakewill

Thanks for the response. The more I checked that is what I found. Obviously glad to find there was not some "switcho, changeo" on the car. My title appears to reflect the body tag on the firewall. Should I anticipate any issues transferring the title over? Do I dare try to make it right?

I'm going through this type of thing right now. My '37 Zephyr was titled with a California title because when the new owner in CA in 1986 took his new purchase to get a title for the car and the CA DMV officer could not find any numbers on the car, they just gave it a new serial number.

Not wanting to keep it that way, I wanted the correct number with a title in my name and I figured now was the time to change it.

i went to the DMV here first and explained the whole situation. She said no problem, fill out this form which has to be signed by a police officer, who just happened to be my neighbor. I did exactly as instructed, along with a printed photo from my camera, to further verify the number's authicity. We'll see what happens but I'm pretty confident my new title will have the correct number.

Guest Snakewill
The body tag number is unique to your car as well as the serial number. I would check with your DOV before attempting to change your title when transferring.

Thanks for the info. I will do so.

Several years ago when I bought my '48 LC The title had it identified as a 1947 and had the body number as the vin. After inquiring to LZOC I found the Vin on the frame, in both places. The boss on the transmission was not imprinted , as I'm sure it had been replaced. I went to the dmv they told me I had to have it inspected by the Missouri Highway Patrol , which I did and then found that it was a '48 instead of a '47. Glenn Lorei b6vt

Guest Snakewill

I have heard horror stories of problems like yours. I would obviously like to have it correct. I have looked on the frame and so far have been unable to identify the VIN. I just purchased the car and have not started the restoration so have not spent enough time to find it or went to transfer the title.