Seat Switch

Guest wheelsport

Guest wheelsport

The seat control switch is loose and flopping around in the consol. How do I remove the consol to repair the loose switch? I see the screws in the cassette holder but there is more than that.

The seat control switch is loose and flopping around in the consol. How do I remove the consol to repair the loose switch? I see the screws in the cassette holder but there is more than that.

Simply put, don't remove the counsel unless you have to.

Switch mount screws never fall out, plastic mounts that hold these screws do break. If you do pull the counsel you will need to remove both seats.

Remove seat on side of flopping switch, start at lower dash panel and pull the stiffened carpet access cover free from counsel cover, then look to see how mount is broken. With a good clean break a couple drops of glue will put it back in place. If the side of screw mount is split off glue and wait till dry before re-installing, if the mount is shattered you might need to remove counsel to rebuild mount with epoxy, tight wrap the screw with teflon tape and use as part of mold, this means pulling both seats, lower dash cover, shift knob and if automatic indicator linkage.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest wheelsport
Simply put, don't remove the counsel unless you have to.

Switch mount screws never fall out, plastic mounts that hold these screws do break. If you do pull the counsel you will need to remove both seats.

Remove seat on side of flopping switch, start at lower dash panel and pull the stiffened carpet access cover free from counsel cover, then look to see how mount is broken. With a good clean break a couple drops of glue will put it back in place. If the side of screw mount is split off glue and wait till dry before re-installing, if the mount is shattered you might need to remove counsel to rebuild mount with epoxy, tight wrap the screw with teflon tape and use as part of mold, this means pulling both seats, lower dash cover, shift knob and if automatic indicator linkage.

I was able to repair the loose switches by removing the screws in the cassete holder and in front of the ash tray. I manipulated the seats to give the maximum access to the switches. I lifted the consul to enough to get. my hand on the s/w's and unpluged them. I cleaned them while they were out. The mounts were broken. I epoxied the s/w bodys to the partition between the s/w's on the underneath side of the consul. When the epoxy dried I connected the wiring and bolted the consul in.

Guest Thom Marin

On the topic of switches, my 1989 TC's brake lights and turn signals are not working. I found a Turn Signal switch designed for the LeBaron,

and it worked BUT, my original TC Turn Signal switch has 3 harnesses and the LeBaron only has two. The third harness connects the side

cornering lights. Does anyone know how to fix this switch problem or where to get the correct Turn Switch with 3 harnesses? I could sure

use the help because the cornering lights are a great feature that I want to preserve.

• 2 weeks later...
On the topic of switches, my 1989 TC's brake lights and turn signals are not working. I found a Turn Signal switch designed for the LeBaron,

and it worked BUT, my original TC Turn Signal switch has 3 harnesses and the LeBaron only has two. The third harness connects the side

cornering lights. Does anyone know how to fix this switch problem or where to get the correct Turn Switch with 3 harnesses? I could sure

use the help because the cornering lights are a great feature that I want to preserve.

rockauto.com sells the switch and they get $130 for the part. The TC uses a GM design tilt column and you can shave 2/3 off the cost by substituting a switch from a big 90's tilt wheel Buick or Cad. Same switch, different wire colors and plug connect, easy enough to do if you have the right sized pin extraction tool and the right sized pins for the small black plug.