1926 Buick Stop Light Switch Ideas?

AzBob

Removed the stop light switch the previous owner installed. The actuator arm was hooked up to the brake equalizer with baling wire. Looking for alternate switches and ways to actuate the switch.

post-101134-143142823821_thumb.jpg

Bob

Try Chevs of the 40s...

[TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: Subcategory, colspan: 5, align: left][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: resultrow, width: 120, colspan: 2] WASL08.jpg [/TD]

[TD=class: resultrow1]Brake Light Switch

This mechanical switch has self cleaning contacts that prevents carbon buildup. Adjustable to fit a wide variety of vehicles. It's rated at 10 amps and is waterproof. Includes...

For All Cars and Trucks

[/TD]

[TD=class: resultrow] WASL08

Click for more details

$22.00 EA <form action="/Cart/cart.lasso" method="post" name="FormName"> <input src="https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/images/buy.gif" alt="Buy Now" type="image" align="middle" border="0"> </form>

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: resultrow, width: 120, colspan: 2] WASL08-700R4.jpg [/TD]

[TD=class: resultrow1]Brake Light Switch

Brake Switch. 700R4 lockup w/ SPDT (single pole double throw) relay. When brakes are off, converter is locked up. When they're on, it's not. Great for lightweight cars with lo...

For All Cars and Trucks

[/TD]

[TD=class: resultrow] WASL08-700R4

Click for more details

$40.00 EA <form action="/Cart/cart.lasso" method="post" name="FormName"> <input src="https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/images/buy.gif" alt="Buy Now" type="image" align="middle" border="0"></form>

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

I could be in error here, but, I have been told by different people at different times that Buick automobiles did not come from the factory with a brake light until 1928. If there is somebody out there that can verify this, I certainly would like to know for sure. IF THIS TRUE, Bob doesn't have to worry about a switch. Hope someone can verify this for all of us.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

This is what was on a 1924-45 I bid on last year. The owner had already passed so no info on what the switch originally was to fit. So Mark thank you for the leads as I want to set up a brake light for my 1925. A simple angle bolted to a cross member with a pull/on switch attached to the brake actuator rods.

post-79073-143142824337_thumb.jpg

Mark, Thanks for the links to the brake light switches. Terry, you are right, The wiring diagram for the 1926 standard six shows only wiring to the tail light and no brake light. However, I would feel safer in todays traffic with a brake light.

It appears that the brake light switch on Larry's 1924-45 is actuated with what looks like a bicycle chain.

Bob

I have a brake light switch added to my 1913 Buick Touring (First year for electric lights) that is just a clamp on the brake rod that bumps into the switch.

I agree that the safety of having a brake light outweighs any need for originality. IMO, show cars don't need brake lights; but drivers do!

Bob, I think I need to clarify my earlier response so that you will understand exactly what I was trying to say. I was pretty sure that Buick did not have a brake light until the 1928 models. What I should have stated was that since you have a 1926 model you do not have to worry about coming up with an usable, ORIGINAL brake switch. Since you are going to add the brake light for safety, the heat is off to find an original part. My opinion of what you are doing is GO FOR IT! I am using original tail light housing assemblies on my 1916 D-45 to add brake lights on this car. Unless I tell people that I have done this to the car they would never know it. They look completely original. I will feel safer when I drive the car and the real cool thing about the whole setup is not one hole will have to drilled in anything to do what I want to do for the car.

Terry Wiegand

South HutchinsKansas

Terry, my 1923 McLaughlin Buick (made in Canada for export to the UK) has an original tail light with included stop light. It is original to the car. The switch is a little rectangle box with a sliding lever (in and out) that is connected to the frame and to the brake pedal with a spring. I have a pic of the light and will take a pic of the switch if anyone wants one. The light for the stop light is just a single filament bulb.

post-48480-143142829889_thumb.jpg

John, you know that McLaughlin did things in Oshawa that were not done in Flint. This is great learning what was done when. I believe it is mentioned in the 1928 sales material that a brake light was now standard equipment on all models for 1928. Do you have any original McLaughlin sales material that shows the light like what is on your car?

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I had adapted a switch for a Model-A Ford from (I think) Snyder's to work on my 1912 Oakland. It was a very simple affair, simply acted upon by the portion of the brake pedal arm as it extended downward through the floor. It was a simple 2-wire set-up.

1926 model 47s definitely did not come from the factory with a stop light. However, I have seen several 26 and 27s that appear to have period correct stop lights that may have been dealer installed. One had the dealer name inscribed on it. Also, the first position on the light side of my Delco combination switch turns on the tail light only, the second position turns on the tail and cowl lights. A manually operated stop light? That is how I have been using it.

Terry, I have two sources that confirm the combo tail and stop light as standard on the 1923 McLaughlin Buick. The first is an advertisement where the combo is mentioned at the last paragraph. And also a pic of the combo on a 1923 McLaughlin Buick that is in New Zealand. Good enough or should I look in my junk for more information?

post-48480-143142830755_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142830761_thumb.jpg

Guest 22Coupe

Bob,

My '22 Coupe has a similar setup that you describe for the brake light. It is very vintage looking and obviously been there a long time. Maybe a dealer add on? But, it works so I am just going to leave it there. I kind of like the simplicity of the mechanical switch and bailing wire. The wire to and from the switch are cloth covered and attached to the wood in a professional looking matter with straight lines and right angles. Except for the bailing wire it appears to belong there.

Good luck with your quest.

Cheers,

Gary

Terry, I have two sources that confirm the combo tail and stop light as standard on the 1923 McLaughlin Buick. The first is an advertisement where the combo is mentioned at the last paragraph. And also a pic of the combo on a 1923 McLaughlin Buick that is in New Zealand. Good enough or should I look in my junk for more information?

That picture is of a New South Wales (state in Australia) registered car, not New Zealand. The export manual for the 26's out of flint does not make any reference to stop lights, only the tail light and the wiring diagram does not show any circuit for it. So definitely looks like a McLaughlin special.