The Hershey 2014 Experience - Favorite Photos

stock_steve

As a matter of fact, I just put that Airflow on the trailer this evening and it's on its way to the new owner who has been dreaming of it since Hershey. Wonderful car, I'm really going to miss it and the way it lit up the showroom. It made me a believer in early Chrysler engineering, what a pleasure to drive. Thanks for the photos, Steve!

As a matter of fact, I just put that Airflow on the trailer this evening and it's on its way to the new owner who has been dreaming of it since Hershey. Wonderful car, I'm really going to miss it and the way it lit up the showroom. It made me a believer in early Chrysler engineering, what a pleasure to drive. Thanks for the photos, Steve!

Really beautiful car, Matt! Glad to hear of your and the new owner's positive feellings about it too! Speaking for myself, it was great fun seeing and photographing it at Hershey!

Good morning and Happy Monday!... From the Car Corral, here is a front fender script for a '58 or so Olds Ninety Eight that really caught my eye... Wish I had taken a picture of the overall car!... I don't recall it being a convertible, but I found a sales brochure page online that shows what appears to be the same color in a Convertible version... And then some '58 Olds paint chips that were also found online appear to identify this color as DDL-50503, "Heather"... Have a great day!

post-34222-143142884393_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142884409_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142884425_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Good morning and Happy Wednesday... From the ongoing Hershey 2014 Car Corral browse, here is a spectacular 1963 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spider... Wow, beautiful!... And from a little bit of casual googling, it appeared it sold a couple of years ago, for substantially less than what was shown for an asking price on the window card at Hershey, ref: http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1049538 ... Have a great day!

post-34222-143142888575_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142888593_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142888606_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142888618_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142888631_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142888642_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142888656_thumb.jpg

Hershey is such sensory overload. After arriving on Tuesday and setting up our spaces in the Green Field on Wednesday- the week went by in a flash. One of the few disadvantages about being a Hershey vendor is not having the time to enjoy the world outside your spots. This picture shows our spaces early Saturday morning. While many vendors were gone, or packing to leave- we set everything out so that those who can only attend Hershey on Saturday can experience the flea market in some form. The strategy paid off as we enjoyed brisk sales as the herd marched back and forth, to and from, the showfield. In fact, the beautiful but bulky Cord hood seen here resting against my trailer found a new home on Saturday. Loading the trailer on Saturday afternoon was a breeze as much of what we brought to Hershey went home with new owners. The "kid" in the yellow sweatshirt, enjoying his tenth (or is it 11th) Hershey at the age of 16 should be here for decades to come. He would stay for 2 weeks if he could!

post-31547-143142888662_thumb.png

Hershey is such sensory overload. After arriving on Tuesday and setting up our spaces in the Green Field on Wednesday- the week went by in a flash. One of the few disadvantages about being a Hershey vendor is not having the time to enjoy the world outside your spots. This picture shows our spaces early Saturday morning. While many vendors were gone, or packing to leave- we set everything out so that those who can only attend Hershey on Saturday can experience the flea market in some form. The strategy paid off as we enjoyed brisk sales as the herd marched back and forth, to and from, the showfield. In fact, the beautiful but bulky Cord hood seen here resting against my trailer found a new home on Saturday. Loading the trailer on Saturday afternoon was a breeze as much of what we brought to Hershey went home with new owners. The "kid" in the yellow sweatshirt, enjoying his tenth (or is it 11th) Hershey at the age of 16 should be here for decades to come. He would stay for 2 weeks if he could!

Wow, nice job with the Saturday sales strategy, greenie! Glad to hear it worked out so well for you!

And great job also nuturing The Next Generation of Hershey Die-Hards!!!

The positively magnificent '40s Packard that was next to the Alfa also demanded at least a couple of quick photos, while we continued our Hershey 2014 Car Corral browse... In retrospect, it would have been great to have more time to photograph more of these great old cars... But we take (& enjoy) what we can get, I guess... Have a great Wednesday evening...

post-34222-143142889199_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142889214_thumb.jpg

Good morning and Happy Thursday... Continuing with our Hershey 2014 browse, we've now seen everything we wanted to see in the Car Corral, and are now walking thru, I think, the Orange field, which is kind of adjacent to (& surrounding most of) the Car Corral... First thing I took a picture of was... another beautiful car!... This time it was a really classy '36 Buick... NICE!... Have a great day!...

post-34222-143142890437_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142890454_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142890452_thumb.jpg

Here's one more from the Hershey 2014 Flea Market for Friday afternoon... It's a Thunderbird Jr., by Powercar, and manufactured in Mystic, Connecticut, yet--wow! Very Cool!... Some quick googling revealed this info site about these very interesting old vehicles: http://www.jrcentral.com/thunderbird.html ... Happy Friday and Have a Great Weekend!

post-34222-143142894364_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142894379_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142894394_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142894408_thumb.jpg

Good morning!... Bonus Pre-Christmas Saturday Hershey 2014 Flea Market Browsing Installment!... I think this guy was visible in the background of one of the Powercar T-Bird Jr. images... It's none other than The Michelin Man... Also sometimes known as "Bibendum"... Quoting from the applicable wikipedia page: "...Bibendum, commonly referred to as the Michelin Man, is the symbol of the Michelin tire company. Introduced at the Lyon Exhibition of 1894 where the Michelin brothers had a stand, Bibendum is one of the world's oldest trademarks. The slogan 'Nunc est bibendum' (Now is the time to drink) is taken from Horace's Odes... He is also referred to as Bib or Bibelobis..." Here's another interesting history page about Bib that I ran across on some quick googling: http://www.fastcodesign.com/3036541/the-secret-history-of-the-michelin-man ... Happy Saturday!

post-34222-143142894759_thumb.jpg

One more "Special Holiday Saturday Bonus" Hershey 2014 Flea Market Browsing installment for now... Here's a Buddy L Stout Scarab... I did not find a visible price in my photos, but upon a quick google, I found one that apparently recently sold in an auction for almost $600, reference: http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?Auction=208&ItemNo=120598 ... That one also included, however, the ORIGINAL BOX, which was very cool to see--I will include the photo of the box here for reference... Happy Saturday once again!...

post-34222-143142894775_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142894789_thumb.jpg

post-34222-1431428948_thumb.jpg

More "cool old stuff" as seen in the Hershey 2014 Flea Market... Have a great rest of your Monday... Might be taking a few days off from my installments here, due to the Christmas holidays, but we will be back again ASAP... Hope Santa brings you everything you wished for!... Over and out for now!...

post-34222-143142898998_thumb.jpg

Good morning and Happy Post-Christmas Friday!... From Hershey 2014 (still browsing the flea market area, as I recall), I don't remember the car from which this great air cleaner artwork came from, but from some googling, it appears it must've come from a 1969 Road Runner.

Quoting from the applicable wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Road_Runner): '...An Air Grabber option (N96 code) was introduced this year; it consisted of a fiberglass air duct assembly bolted to the underside of the hood that connected to twin rectangular upward-facing vents in the hood with orange vent screens. The fiberglass hood box had an "Air Grabber" sticker on the front. When the hood was closed, a rubber seal fit over the large-oval unsilenced air cleaner. A decal with Wile E. Coyote saying "Coyote Duster" was on the air cleaner lid.The assembly ducted air directly into the engine. The vents in the hood could be opened and closed via a lever under the dashboard labeled "Carb Air."...'

Have a great Friday!

post-34222-143142903934_thumb.jpg

One more for now, since I missed the past few days... Here's a very cool old "Blatz" beer sign that we saw in the flea market...

This was apparently a classic old brewing company (1851-1959) based in Milwaukee, WI, and, according to the wikipedia page, apparently the label is still in use, under Pabst/Miller ownership, ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentin_Blatz_Brewing_Company

post-34222-143142904455_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142904442_thumb.jpg

One more from the Hershey 2014 flea market, since we are on "a beer kick"... Here is another great old beer advertising sign that really caught our eye, since we are collie lovers. The collie illustration here was so beautifully done.

We later heard via one of the collie-connected Facebook groups we are a member of that a fellow collie person saw this at Hershey and ended up grabbing it! Great to know that it went to someone who probably really loves it!

post-34222-143142904636_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142904651_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142904652_thumb.jpg

One more from the Hershey 2014 flea market, since we are on "a beer kick"... Here is another great old beer advertising sign that really caught our eye, since we are collie lovers. The collie illustration here was so beautifully done.

We later heard via one of the collie-connected Facebook groups we are a member of that a fellow collie person saw this at Hershey and ended up grabbing it! Great to know that it went to someone who probably really loves it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]288072[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]288073[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]288074[/ATTACH]

Wish I'd seen it! We are on the 4th collie of our 40 yr marriage. They are wonderful animals - smart, loyal and kind. Great with kids. About the only downside is they do shed a lot.

Wish I'd seen it! We are on the 4th collie of our 40 yr marriage. They are wonderful animals - smart, loyal and kind. Great with kids. About the only downside is they do shed a lot.

Agree with all your comments, 31, about collies--though I would also say that smooths might shed a bit less than roughs (though they still definitely shed). At this end, 33 years of marriage, and five collies--although, sadly, none at the present time. Our big smooth guy named Angelo passed away unexpectedly at 10 years of age this past summer, and boy do we miss him. Not ready to adopt another, but definitely will eventually...

post-34222-143142910958_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142910975_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142910981_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142910996_thumb.jpg

The "little" Johnson was in the rear part of the Green field, just before you crest the hill and head down into the Orange Field. The vendor had quite a bit of outboard motor items. The 5 1/2 stopped me in my tracks as my late father had one, but never owned a boat. He would prepare for fishing trips by mounting the Johnson on an old drum filled with water- and run the motor long enough to be sure all was OK. The next day, we would drive to a marina near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and rent a small boat. It made financial "sense" to own the motor but rent the inexpensive motor. We would run the thing up and down the Bay and fish in its many tributaries.

The "little" Johnson was in the rear part of the Green field, just before you crest the hill and head down into the Orange Field. The vendor had quite a bit of outboard motor items. The 5 1/2 stopped me in my tracks as my late father had one, but never owned a boat. He would prepare for fishing trips by mounting the Johnson on an old drum filled with water- and run the motor long enough to be sure all was OK. The next day, we would drive to a marina near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and rent a small boat. It made financial "sense" to own the motor but rent the inexpensive motor. We would run the thing up and down the Bay and fish in its many tributaries.

That's great stuff, greenie, thank you for chiming in. You have a better recollection of Hershey Flea Market topography then me, but that description certainly sounds right to me. Great memories of the Johnson and boating excursions with your father. I had a few similar experiences with my late father also. He had a 12 foot aluminum boat from Sears, and also about a 7 or so horse outboard for it, also Sears (I remember the green & white color scheme of the motor). We did some boating in a local pond in Middlefield, CT with it a few times, and then a couple of times up at Cape Cod (Chatham River). Never used the boat and motor too much though. Just got rid of the boat, which had been sitting for years and years, at the old family homestead (gave it away to a relative), within the past year or so. Don't know whatever happened with the motor.

EDIT: Very poor internet reference picture of what I think I recall the old Sears outboard to look like--early '70s vintage, I think:

post-34222-143142911339_thumb.jpg

Steve, Thanks for sharing the collie pics along with your great Hershey pics. I have to ask: Did you get over to the show field? I am selfishly wondering if you have any pics of my 31 Cadillac, LOL. Attached is one of our collie Max.

post-100467-143142911396_thumb.jpg

Steve, Thanks for sharing the collie pics along with your great Hershey pics. I have to ask: Did you get over to the show field? I am selfishly wondering if you have any pics of my 31 Cadillac, LOL. Attached is one of our collie Max.

Wow, Max is a beautiful pup, 31--good for you! As far as the Saturday car show goes, we did a very quick walk-thru early, as we had to be on the road back to Connecticut fairly early in the day, and whatever photos I took during that brief car show visit are by no means very comprehensive. I'd say it's probably *not* a good bet that I'd have any shots of your '31 Cadillac, unfortunately. Do you have any reference images of it that I can look at, while scanning my own photos? I'm still planning to stay with presenting my Hershey 2014 images in the order they were taken, so we are still well away from any Saturday car show shots... Thanks for the check-in, and once again, love your beautiful collie!

EDIT: Will be getting back to the Hershey 2014 photo-tour a little later this morning... Happy Early Monday!

Good morning and Happy Monday once again!... From Hershey 2014, this great old "Goodrich Silvertown" sign I think may have been in the same vendor's space as the previous "vendor doggie" image. It had some cool patina...

I did a slight bit of research about where the word "Silvertown" came from, and found this: "...Goodrich continued to apply the latest technology to its tire production. In 1910, it introduced the first cord tire for use on U.S. automobiles. This tire, which reduced fuel consumption and increased the comfort of the ride, was developed in Silvertown, England, and marketed there as the Palmer Cord. Goodrich purchased the patent rights for it in the United States and sold it to U.S. consumers as the Silvertown Cord..." Source: http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/57/Goodrich-Corporation.html

Have a great day! </SPAN>

post-34222-14314292051_thumb.jpg

post-34222-14314292052_thumb.jpg

Wow, Max is a beautiful pup, 31--good for you! As far as the Saturday car show goes, we did a very quick walk-thru early, as we had to be on the road back to Connecticut fairly early in the day, and whatever photos I took during that brief car show visit are by no means very comprehensive. I'd say it's probably *not* a good bet that I'd have any shots of your '31 Cadillac, unfortunately. Do you have any reference images of it that I can look at, while scanning my own photos? I'm still planning to stay with presenting my Hershey 2014 images in the order they were taken, so we are still well away from any Saturday car show shots... Thanks for the check-in, and once again, love your beautiful collie!

Hey Steve! Thanks for the kind words. Collies are indeed one of God's most beautiful and amazing creations. As far as my Cadillac goes, I'll enjoy just continuing to follow the thread and see what pops up! I am certain that all are enjoying your photos. Simply posting them in the order taken is the way to go. Thanks for sharing them! Regards, Rick

Hey Steve! Thanks for the kind words. Collies are indeed one of God's most beautiful and amazing creations. As far as my Cadillac goes, I'll enjoy just continuing to follow the thread and see what pops up! I am certain that all are enjoying your photos. Simply posting them in the order taken is the way to go. Thanks for sharing them! Regards, Rick

Thanks Rick. I'm having a lot of fun going thru the photos again--it's a nice way to sort of "re-live" the experience. Certainly glad to hear that others like yourself are also enjoying the tour. Give Max a pet on the head for me!

Good morning and Happy Tuesday... A big 18F degrees showing on the thermometer in little old Stony Creek, CT this morning... And we hear that it's going to steadily lower for the next couple of days at least... I'd rather think of some warm Hershey thoughts... Here's a view of some old bikes that a vendor was selling...

post-34222-143142921991_thumb.jpg

One more from the Hershey 2014 flea market for this morning... Here's what appears to be a vendor's really sweet-looking 1965 Ford Country Squire wagon--very nice!... I did some quick internet searching to try to find some reference images of those front fender emblems on this car, which, when I crop & enlarge, are not too discernable, but ran across a page that had some good pictures and pithy comments about 1965 Ford Country Squires, from which I've borrowed a couple of reference images--the source is: http://jalopnik.com/303249/1965-ford-country-squire ... Happy Wednesday once again!

post-34222-143142924141_thumb.jpg

post-34222-14314292415_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142924151_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142924153_thumb.jpg

Good morning and Happy Chilly Thursday! The thermometer read a big *eight degrees* in little old Stony Creek, CT this morning--yow!... Here are a couple of Hershey 2014 flea market photos that make me think warmer thoughts... "Hubcaps World"... Have a good day and stay warm!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289959[/ATTACH]

Oh, There is that Buick hub cap that I was looking for......