1990 Select Sixty

Barney Eaton

I just stumbled on this car for sale. Sorry if someone has already posted it but thought someone might be interested.

According to the database records, this car belonged to GM and was sold at auction in April 09 with 173 miles, it now has 234.

no price is listed and it is in Punta Gorta FL... looks like a museum or classic car sales.

Also note......this is a low mileage car from the GM collection and it DOES NOT have the Select Sixty hood emblem.

To me this is documentation that the 1990 model DID NOT come with the emblem.

Here is the link http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars-for-sale/1990-buick-reatta-puntagorda-fl-243339945

1G4EC33C3LB904434 - 4434 sounds familiar. Sold by GM at auction in 09 for $22k - know some of the GM collection were sold without a title and Florida can be difficult. Wonder if it has one. (According to Florida DMV it was sold in 09 but there is no title on file.) Has a plate in photos but is not Florida.

Vehicle Identification Number: 1G4EC33C3LB904434 Year/Make: 1990 BUICK

Previous Title State: Registration Expiration Date: 5/8/2009

Title: NO TITLE ON FILE Title Issue Date:

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Looks to be a Michigan plate.

Perhaps '91 convertible 900622 will show up. The last one built sold at the same auction.

I've seen a number of cars from the GM liquidation auctions pop up lately. One was a Buick Rainer Grand National complete with supercharged LS engine. All with no title of course.

I have a feeling a lot more Reattas than we realize we're in the auction and will start surfacing soon.

Guest Select60

This Select 60 is as low miles and about as direct from the factory as you will find, anywhere. I do hope everyone, including judges and future judges at BCA Nationals have noticed that the oil dip stick is black and not the grey dip stick that is suppose to be the only factory color for a Reatta dip stick...to me this documentation that both colors of dip sticks were used!!! Oh, wait, I almost forgot my 3,400 mile Select 60 never titled purchased directly last year from the award winning dealership the was awarded this fine vehicle came with a BLACK oil dip stick.

Edited by Select60 (see edit history)

Guest Select60

234 miles, long before a first required oil change. Ok, because of the age, time may have permitted a few oil changes....but, breakage by GM employee or a museum employee seems a little off, pure fantasy, wishful thinking or B.S.. How about they (GM, Buick Division) had a few manufacturers for dip sticks and some made grey ones and some made black ones....and both were used. Just like in all other models of the year.

Edited by Select60 (see edit history)

Guest Select60

Walter, I too now have both a black and a grey oil dip stick, after hitting what seems like way too many wrecking yards looking for a "grey" dip stick. It seems that most dip sticks I saw in wrecking yards and at BCA National in Reatta's were black and not the festive, highly desired, pure

grey. Are they really that fragile? Humm.

Edited by Select60
fragle (see edit history)

I have talked to a lot of people about the 3800 engine regarding the color of dip stick. It seems about half of the owners have grey and half have black. It seems to me that this issue is carried on in the whole Buick line. It may be just the time the engine was produced. The 3800 was not only a Reatta Motor but was in lots of different cars. My neighbor has a LeSabre with 25000 mile and my daughter has a junker at 240000 mile both are the same year and hers has the grey and my neighbors has the black. I don't think this would be solved but I would think if a Reatta was being judged, I would think either color would be correct. It would make common sense.

I also do agree with Barney that the Select 60 has the 90 hood stock ornament and not the Select 60. I talked to an owner of a Select 60 and he told me that his ornament had been replaced with a Select 60 one. The Select 60 ones were for the 88 only. I cant prove any of this but as time passes a lot becomes common sense. My Select 60 has a grey stick, a 90 ornament and 2 vin Numbers.......go figure, anything can happen

Chuck

PS still on the hunt for a Polo Green Convertible.......no luck yet

The ad is incorrect. Reatta had 15" rims/tires in 1988-1990 (5 spoke rim). The 1990 Select Sixty had the 1991 style 16" rims, these have 7 kidney bean shaped slots.

The 15" rim was natural aluminum finish, the 16" rim had the outer edge machined to the aluminum finish but the centers were painted silver on most cars.

The exception was the 1990 Select Sixty wheels were painted white and white wheels could be ordered in 1991 on white cars only for an additional $100.

Below are (1) a 1991 style silver wheel (2) a white wheel (3) a 1988-1990 style wheel on a Reatta coupe that has a non-factory vinyl roof on a coupe

post-30596-143142837276_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143142837214_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143142837217_thumb.jpg

Hi Barney, were the 91 rims specific to the Reatta or were the available on other cars as well? Someone I met at the junkyard said that the Reatta seats were also available in the Rivera but I've never seen a Riv with Reatta seats.

Thanks for the clarification.

The 6 way Reatta seats were identical to those in the Riviera except for the upholstery pattern. Frames, mechanisms and so forth were identical. The 16 way seats were also available optionally in both cars, though again the upholstery pattern was different. The Riviera also got a true full function 16 way on the passenger side, while the Reatta had a look alike.

I don't believe the 16" Reatta wheels had any other application. The 15" rims were used on another Buick on a limited basis but I can't remember which model now.

KDirk

The 1991 Reatta style wheel was used as an option on 92-93 Rivieras, but they did not have the fake black rivets. Then around 1998-99 you could get the Reatta style wheel in chrome as an option on LeSabre and Park Avenue cars. Below is a photo of the chrome wheel (without hub cap, which is also chrome)

post-30596-143142840473_thumb.jpg

I have a 91 vert and a 93 riviera and they both have the same wheels complete with the black rivets. Only the hub caps have a different logo.

On the riv they were availiable if you got the grand touring suspention.

I forgot to add on my 90 coupe, 91 vert, and 93 Riv all have the gray dipsticks

Edited by 91vert (see edit history)

Here is another SS60 located in Houston...... I first thought it was the one from a couple years back that was first offered at a very low price then was said to be sold, only to be back on the same lot at a much higher price.

This car is on the database and had 37K in 2002 .... now has 39015 here is link

http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars-for-sale/1990-buick-reatta-houston-tx-237942423

Guest my3buicks

The one in the link has definitely been on the market at least off and on for a good while, I considered it when I got the black car, then again when I got the white car. I appears rough for such a low mileage car.

That select sixty is the same one that came on the market, disappeared and came back with a much high price due to too many tire kickers from this forum calling the seller and telling him he was asking too little for the car.

Now this car has been on the market for nearly 3 years, and isn't going anywhere.

We went and looked at this car over the summer and yet again made a cash offer which was refused.

The car was sitting in a building with a greasy, torn car cover on it. Various parts from other projects laying all over it, Mildew on the interior, hasn't run in over 2 years, and flat tires. It is nothing like it's represented to be in the pictures in it's current state.

We made a very attractive offer to the seller given it's current state. However the seller seems to trust the word of people that call him and say how much it's worth or how much similar ones go for rather than someone standing in front of him with a pile of $100 bills on the hood of the car and an empty trailer to get it out of his way.

This is the power the internet can give an uninformed individual.

Guest my3buicks

post-30591-143142850379_thumb.png

The 1991 Reatta style wheel was used as an option on 92-93 Rivieras, but they did not have the fake black rivets. Then around 1998-99 you could get the Reatta style wheel in chrome as an option on LeSabre and Park Avenue cars. Below is a photo of the chrome wheel (without hub cap, which is also chrome)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]282169[/ATTACH]

The chrome wheel pictured was available on the 94 and up Rivs. Here is a picture of a 93 with the 91 Reatta wheel, you rarely see this wheel on them. The ones I have seen have the rivets. I believe the later Park Ave / LeSabre you speak of had more spokes but were similar.

post-30591-143142850377_thumb.jpg

AFAIR the same 15x6 wheel was used on the Lesabre T-Type in the same period and was too small there also. Even the earlier Fiero GT (about 1,000 lbs lighter) had a 15x7. (No Virginia, it had a different bolt pattern).

BTW ignorance is curable but stupidity is forever.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]283026[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]283027[/ATTACH]

The chrome wheel pictured was available on the 94 and up Rivs. Here is a picture of a 93 with the 91 Reatta wheel, you rarely see this wheel on them. The ones I have seen have the rivets. I believe the later Park Ave / LeSabre you speak of had more spokes but were similar.

Not trying to be nit-picky but as far as I remember there was no Riv in 94. As mentioned before the 91 Reatta wheel was only availiable on the Riv's with the optional Grand Touring suspension. The same suspension that is on the Reatta.

Walter, I too now have both a black and a grey oil dip stick, after hitting what seems like way too many wrecking yards looking for a "grey" dip stick. It seems that most dip sticks I saw in wrecking yards and at BCA National in Reatta's were black and not the festive, highly desired, pure

grey. Are they really that fragile? Humm.

Well, I am changing my tune slightly. Needing an oil change, I was looking at both dipsticks today. Interestingly, the black handled one has a different part number than the grey handled one. Black is #24500027, and the grey is #25530577. According to the illustrations pdf, the latter grey part number is the only one listed for '88-'90. (The 'business' ends of both are otherwise identical. Same length, hash marks/holes for oil level, bends, etc. So for those of you who could care less about the color, don't worry about it.)

I continue to maintain that Reattas were delivered from the factory with both. One person here, who has owned several Reattas, looked through his photos and told me his have been about 50/50. But for the most detail obsessed, the grey #25530577 dipstick seems slightly more correct.

The '91 Reattas (and '91-'93 Rivs) have a different part - #24500397.

Walter, My 91 came with a grey handled dipstick. Should I pull it out and get a part number for us? Also, this appears to be the same dipstick that came with the 89 as well as what was included with the 93 Bonneville pull a part 3.8 engine. Thought these were all grey since I recall my Dad's 85 Regal Limited and then the '91 century had, at the time, what seemed to be the same gray handled dipstick that came with the '87 Grand National. I have seen junkers with a black handle and yellow type, but these all had different oil fill caps too so I had always thought these would be grey up until 94.

Saw tbinvie's select 60 went for $2.2k. IMHO, even with what seems like 101 problems, it looks like a better car than the one in Houston. I looked at the Texas car two years ago and it seems like it went through a flood. There's as much rust on that car as there is on my 89 that spent most its life in Lansing (check under the front wheel wells, the body rail connecting the strut towers, all rust). Whomever ended up with the car from Massachusetts, got a great project. I don't care if the Texas car is low mileage, it still needs a complete ground up resto and then some. In fact, I think the select 60 that recently sold came from California. Maybe I'm wrong, but there was a similar one selling out of LA a few years ago with trannie trouble and a pretty beat up top looking much the same. It was stuck in a parking garage from what I recall. Another fairly "rare" 91 black on red combo was up on ebay a week ago, ended with no bids at $695. Aside from the seats, that car seems to be in better shape than the Select 60 in Houston. Just my opinion here not trying to begrudge anyone's treasure.

The L.A. S60 and TB.'s S60 is the same car.

Car originally came from Chicago (spent many years there). TB probably broke even on the deal (considering shipping from L.A. to Mass.) but IMO, he's fortunate to do so. That's a project car of love because no matter the cost for a rotisserie restoration (that is what the car needs), you won't get your money back in this lifetime.

Walter, My 91 came with a grey handled dipstick. Should I pull it out and get a part number for us? Also, this appears to be the same dipstick that came with the 89 as well as what was included with the 93 Bonneville pull a part 3.8 engine. Thought these were all grey since I recall my Dad's 85 Regal Limited and then the '91 century had, at the time, what seemed to be the same gray handled dipstick that came with the '87 Grand National. I have seen junkers with a black handle and yellow type, but these all had different oil fill caps too so I had always thought these would be grey up until 94.

Saw tbinvie's select 60 went for $2.2k. IMHO, even with what seems like 101 problems, it looks like a better car than the one in Houston. I looked at the Texas car two years ago and it seems like it went through a flood. There's as much rust on that car as there is on my 89 that spent most its life in Lansing (check under the front wheel wells, the body rail connecting the strut towers, all rust). Whomever ended up with the car from Massachusetts, got a great project. I don't care if the Texas car is low mileage, it still needs a complete ground up resto and then some. In fact, I think the select 60 that recently sold came from California. Maybe I'm wrong, but there was a similar one selling out of LA a few years ago with trannie trouble and a pretty beat up top looking much the same. It was stuck in a parking garage from what I recall. Another fairly "rare" 91 black on red combo was up on ebay a week ago, ended with no bids at $695. Aside from the seats, that car seems to be in better shape than the Select 60 in Houston. Just my opinion here not trying to begrudge anyone's treasure.

I have tracked the Select 60 for a number of years, and for the longest time there was only one missing, a car that was destroyed in a flood during Katrina. then it showed up in Houston, so yes, it is a flood car. I restored the 68-70 AMC AMXs for years and they were never worth much when done, but had a following and over the years would creep up in value. All of a sudden they shot up and are worth as much as the big 3 muscle cars of the day (certainly not comparing them to Shelbies or hemis, but your regular production cars). They made 19,128 of them. Nobody made aftermarket parts for them. Now there is a ton of parts made. I believe the Reatta just might surprise you in years to come. They used to have a saying about Duesenbergs that you never pay too much, just too soon.

@Bushwack. I already had two project cars I could have turned around when I bought the two Reatta's that have been nothing but project cars since they arrived. When I started lurking on this forum, a comment from Fox W. about the rotisserie resto he had going on his 89, should have given me a clue. He started with something like: "and I don't want to hear about how I could have had a minty fresh Reatta instead". Not a direct quote, but like the more desirable GS & GN cars, the Reatta's saw limited years in production. They made more Grand National's than you'd think If you only tracked prices. Try and find a decent quarter panel for less than some entire 85 - 87 Regals are worth. One and only Reatta I picked over, every day someone (who didn't aready work there) came up and said, "Oh, you better get that part, anybody hits you there, you ain't never going to find a part like that." Like TB says, after market can be a big deal.

What at makes you guys think the TB select 60 needs a rotisserie restoration to be worth anything?

About 3 years ago I bought a plain Jane 1990 white /red convertible 65,000 mile car here in Connecticut for $1,500

I put about $500 into it to address electrical problems. Cluster bcm alternator. I even got the ac working. I wet sanded buffed and re-dyed the leather and sold it for $7,000 on eBay.

I think the tb select 60 needs a top and tranny rebuild and a good going through and should be worth $10,000

parts are dirt cheap and it came with a parts car.

Even if it needs paint and a long block if it's running and looking good isn't it worth $6k minimum?

the car fax was clean

i wouldn't buy it to make money but what am I missing guys?

the last reatta vert I did was the easiest I ever worked on. Is it the rust that concerns you? I regretted selling that car because it grew on me.

thanks in advance for the advice.

The L.A. S60 and TB.'s S60 is the same car.

Car originally came from Chicago (spent many years there). TB probably broke even on the deal (considering shipping from L.A. to Mass.) but IMO, he's fortunate to do so. That's a project car of love because no matter the cost for a rotisserie restoration (that is what the car needs), you won't get your money back in this lifetime.

Edited by franc944 (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Well figure having just the white seats redone (correctly and not on the cheap) will be $2000 plus, depends if whoever redoes it does it on the cheap or does it right,

Have to agree with Keith. Some stuff ages well, some stuff does not. The stuff that does not is pretty hard to replicate. New seats especially. New leather is bitchin'.

That goes without saying that you can't enjoy anything as found. Value, especially in terms of something you have invested time into, is prone to subjection. I'm pretty OCD about how I want it but in the end, put up with what I think is a great deal of compromise. Personally, I wouldn't want to drop 10k on yet another Reatta unless it was so clean it sqoke. Love my cars and think I will keep them.

I tell y'all what's funny; a good friend is coming up on 50, isn't happy with the Audi he bought last year, thinking about getting a Ford or something else European, and I tell him he could get a daily driver GNX for about $50k. I see the light come on and realize I probably just talked him into getting a Mazda.

There are companies like Katzkin Roadwire and Acc that will make a gm white leather upholstery kit for the Rivi for about $650 - including the back seat. The reatta is essentially the same seats sans the rear bench is it not?

I did one for my 88 t-top mustang. Just hog rings and it looks factory.

I had a local pro re make the driver seat leather on my 85 Vette which was hard to match because it was 80's bronze gold. Came out perfect and that cost $400 total to have done professionally.

What else do you guys think is a budget blower?

Well figure having just the white seats redone (correctly and not on the cheap) will be $2000 plus, depends if whoever redoes it does it on the cheap or does it right,
Edited by franc944 (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

You better hold on tight to your upholsterer then and not let him know he is doing bargain work. I have had enough interior work done on multiple Buicks over the years to know excellent work done with proper materials doesn't come without a big price tag. You also forget that the Reatta SS has 16 way seats and they are far more intricate than an 85 corvette seat. Did he do it with all new foundation and foam? New bladder for the lumbar support? If not, they were not done right. (in my opinion) Of course that all has to be handmade for a Reatta, where he could just order if for the Vette.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

I've shopped new seat covers and to have them done like new is really about $2k. Another major money sink is all new rubber which will absolutely lead to other suspension work. Weird stuff as these were "hand crafted". I had a problem with my AC in the 91 where the defroster door had come disconnected from the vacuum actuator. That probably cost someone a new windshield and it came to me in the dead of summer with ice cold AC blowing from the defroster vents only, so it wasn't worth the PO fixing. Took weeks to dismantle the dash and fix that. Actual replacement carpet, like the original, is pricey as well.

I picked it up today.

I will do the 60 right

I've shopped new seat covers and to have them done like new is really about $2k. Another major money sink is all new rubber which will absolutely lead to other suspension work. Weird stuff as these were "hand crafted". I had a problem with my AC in the 91 where the defroster door had come disconnected from the vacuum actuator. That probably cost someone a new windshield and it came to me in the dead of summer with ice cold AC blowing from the defroster vents only, so it wasn't worth the PO fixing. Took weeks to dismantle the dash and fix that. Actual replacement carpet, like the original, is pricey as well.