Insulation under the head liner???

So today I started on the most unpleasant part of pulling the interior out of my Traveler. I removed the head liner. Let me tell you pulling down old dried up, dusty mouse nests, their leavings, a couple of skeletons and a mixture of dust and fiberglass from above your head can be rather unsettling. Anyhow there is/was a fiberglass roll type insulation that was glued to the roof for sound and heat. What have others used as a replacement for the insulation?

Dave

Back in the late 60's we shot regular undercoating to deaden the canny sound.

Sometimes wool felt would be pressed on while it was still tacky.

Above the head liner you could use any lightweight insulating material held on with contact cement.

It takes very little to deaden the sound and insulate the roof. On a 57 Nomad one guy used the insulation / sound deaden-er from a dishwasher.

The Dynamat looks like good stuff. Sort of pricey though. I have heard of some using the roll foil type insulation available from Home Depot etc... Something like that stuck on with 3M Super 77 adhesive might work well. I did get a couple of cans of the spray on sound deadening material to try out on the doors etc...

The Dynamat looks like good stuff. Sort of pricey though. I have heard of some using the roll foil type insulation available from Home Depot etc... Something like that stuck on with 3M Super 77 adhesive might work well. I did get a couple of cans of the spray on sound deadening material to try out on the doors etc...

Any product made in a similar way should do the job.

I used the foil from home depot, if you go to any local large car swapmeets, sometimes there is guys selling a white foam with foil by the rool. We i used contact cement . If you install it in strips, it works just as good as installing one large piece and it make it easier. There is also contact cement spray available as upholstery supply shops or online

it made a difference in a 59 Dodge we are working on.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Tim. I found some sound deadening material similar to Dynamat on a black friday internet deal and will use that for most of the car. For the roof I am using the double sided foil insulation available from the local hardware stores. All that and the spray on sound deadener I think I can make a difference.

Dave