1948 Continental trunk lid lock

gdcont

Hi everyone my 48 Continental is at the body shop and I need to remove the trunk lid lock. I don't remember if the lock works but just need to remove the cylinder. It looks like there is a set screw the must hold the cylinder in place. Of course it's frozen. Can I drill it out to release the key cylinder? Any suggestions are welcomed. George.

Guest 39 Pickup

Do not try to drill out the set screw. Set screws are usually hardened steel and the best you will do is drill out the screw driver slot. Make a 50 - 50 mixture of ATF and acetone and spray that on the set screw. A few hours should do the trick, but a few days are better for stubborn threads.

When I got mine, the trunk couldn't be opened. I took out the shelf behind the rear seat in the convertible with a few screws, and was able to reach the latch and force open. Then a couple of machine screws took the whole lock assembly off. Still have some worn out parts to fix. Check for rust on the trunk floor while you're in there. Hope this helps.

Abe

I've owned the car for over 30 years, I did remove the screws and plate so that I could open the trunk and I don't remember if the lock works. The bodyshop would like the lock and bezel out of the trunk lid to sand and paint the lid. I may take the lid and try freeing it up. The other question I have is most key cylinders I've removed in the past needed to have the key installed so the tumbler would go past the housing I imagine this is the same set up. If that is the case then I should just saw it off and get a replacement cylinder. What do you think?