Taillight back to life

Rogillio

I though maybe they were too big at 130K so resized to under 100k and they still won't upload. What are the 'rules' or criteria for uploading pictures

There's no problem with your size. In fact those are pretty small files. If you keep individual files under 1.8MB you should be fine. If not, you have some other problem going on.

Fine restoration job, looks good

Thanks brother. I am painting the car so was taking stuff off and when I took this off I knew it needed attention. I loved finding the DB logo on the bottom of the light housing. You just don't see that these days.

Thanks brother. I am painting the car so was taking stuff off and when I took this off I knew it needed attention. I loved finding the DB logo on the bottom of the light housing. You just don't see that these days.

The DB logo goes on top.

The thin cork gasket should ideally be in one piece around the circumference of the light to keep it watertight. Originally the gasket would have been secured to the 'stop' silhouette by two splayed ferrules then the screws went through these ferrules to secure it to the body. As you can see there are two reveals in the glass to allow for the ferrules. I believe the thinking behind this arrangement was so that when a bulb needed changing, the whole assembly could be removed as one thereby leaving less chance of the glass being dropped and broken. Replacement cork gaskets are available from Myers.

When I restored my rear lamps (we have to have two here) I found the bent over tangs of the ferrules easily broke off, so rendering them useless. Aluminium ferrules were originally used - the brass and copper ones that I had to hand were too stiff - so I fashioned my own aluminium ones by removing the steel pin from some heavy duty pop rivets. They need to be long enough to allow them to be split and splayed out, and have an external diameter large enough to pass snugly through the holes in the cover and silhouette and have an internal diameter suitable to accept the screws. It worked for me.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...