1948 Pontiac Straigh 8 carb help

bgreene30

Hi, my uncles car was restored then parked and from 1980 until two weeks ago.

When you actuate the throttle at the carb base it will not open the butterfly valves. They seem stuck

Anyone have this happen and what is the fix? A total carb rebuild?

The carb appears to be a carter WCD # 653S

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also where would I get a rebuild kit? I found this online does it look correct for what I need if indeed I have no choice but a rebuild??? http://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=653S

post-104059-143142820245_thumb.jpg

post-104059-143142820267_thumb.jpg

With the car sitting that long, I would personally want to do a lot more before starting.

But as to the carburetor, try disconnecting various linkage clips to determine what is stuck. Chances are the throttle plates will free easily, but there may be moving parts inside which are no longer moving.

There are several threads on these forums about starting an engine that has sat for a long period of time. I would check these out before going further. Yes, I know you want to get it running, but caution may prevent you from breaking some expensive items.

As to carburetor kits, they are available in a variety of qualities and a variety of prices. If one seems much less expensive (or even much more expensive), ask the vendor why. Generally, there is a reason either way. As the accelerator pump is the most expensive component in the kit, some of the less expensive kits delete the accelerator pump.

Jon.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

good advice from carbking about trying to start an engine that has been slumbering for so long.... a whole bunch of things you should ideally look at but as a minimum pull the plugs and get some oil into the cylinder bores and turn it over by hand if possible before doing much of anything else.....'also look to get some oil onto the valve stems / guides if you can to prevent a dry start..... D

rop the engine oil and put a fresh charge in and crank it without the plugs to get the oil circulating before you try to fire it up.......

Re the carb being frozen on the butterflies - these usually stick between the shaft and the throttle body but it could be a number of places. I have found a 50 /50 mix of Auto trans fluid / diesel works well for applications like this, but it may take a while to free it off. Immerse the throttle body in the penetrating solution for a week or so and then give the throttle body a gentle tap on the sides whilst working the throttle shaft to try and break the bond. These carbs are pretty robust but be patient..... I have brought some back from the dead that had been sitting for years with no protection from the elements and with some TLC they are recoverable. Lift the air horn on the carb and make sure its all clean inside and splash some WD - 40 around in there to lube things up a bit ..... best of luck :).