1937 Packard 120 Restoration Questions

pint4

Well, my 37 Packard 120 is now in what seems like a thousand pieces. You learn a lot about the car when it is completely disassembled down to the last nut bolt. One also quickly finds out what they don't know.

Running boards-Rusted so I am looking for a nice set of running boards. I plan to re-cover them so the metal is most important to be in great shape.

Trunk rack-I have a rack but no hardware. Does anyone have a source for the parts-original or reproduction? I am also looking for extended bumper bars that are needed to accommodate the trunk rack. I heard someone was reproducing them but not sure who that might be.

Another trunk rack related question-Is the rear bumper itself the same whether or not the car has a trunk rack with only difference being the different length bumper bars supports?

Horns-Are the horns mounted on a bracket attached to the top of the engine?

Best place to send shocks to be rebuilt? Or buy new ones?

And a color question-Was there a paint color in 1937 called "Packard Red"? I have seen 37 Packards painted red and they call it "Packard Red" but I don't see it on the list of available colors. Dar Kuehl's reference book has a 120 Packard on the cover that looks like it is red. Is it "Packard Red"?

I am hopeful there are Packard folks on this forum that can help me or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Email address: pint4@new.rr.com

I prefer Five Points Classic Auto Shocks for rebuilding shocks.

http://www.classicautoshocks.com/

I think the bumper itself is the same for the 1937 Packards with luggage rack. By 1940 (maybe 1938-39, too???), there was a different bumper for cars with luggage racks. Also, different trunk handles, and different placement of license plate.

Pint4:

As West responded, the bumper is the same whether you have a trunk rack or not. But the bumper guards are different. Without a rack the guards are "tear drop" shaped; with a rack they are rectangular. This is to allow the rack to fold down without hitting the top of the guards.

As a side note, I have seen several owners mount their tear drop guards on the farthest-out bolts on the bumper so their rack would lie flat between them. While this will work, it is totally incorrect.

post-72478-143142820153_thumb.jpg

Yes, the horn bracket is mounted on top of the engine's head.

post-72478-143142820156_thumb.jpg

Edited by packick (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...