62 gas sender

buick5563

I was recently working in a 62 Invicta convertible and got everything done except fixing the gas gauge (reads full all the time). When I pulled the sender, it had already been monkeyed with, so it is definitely bad. I went to all of my usual sources (CARS, eBay, Bob's, rockauto, etc) and can't find one. Can a 63 Riviera unit be modified? Can anybody with a parts book past 1955 (:D) check interchange?

Gracias

Edited by buick5563
Added $hit (see edit history)

If it's like blower motor switches, the basic resistor mechanism is probably the same as others, just the mounting and swing arm would be different, I suspect.

The OTHER side of the deal is that it could be a bad wiring issue on the back of the instrument cluster. On my '77 Camaro, the fuel gauge feeds from the same circuit as the voltmeter. When the volt meter started reading low, the fuel gauge reading would be lower, too. The wiring schematic revealed the connection between the voltmeter and the fuel gauge. THEREFORE, also check the grounds in the circuit, too. Chrysler used a soft metal "bridge" between the fuel tank and the chassis fuel line, which was configured as a hose clamp for the flex line between the tank sending unit and the chassis fuel line.

I suspect the Invicta would have a warning light rather than a gauge, though, but I'd still check the wiring feeds and grounds of those two circuits, plus ensuring the sending unit connections/related circuits are good. You should be able to check the resistance of the tank unit for continuity and resistance. Changing the ceramic/wire component might well be a soldering situation. Might even be a gauge issue, but most will look to the sending unit for the problem.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Thanks Willis. The first thing I did was pull the wire and grounded it. The gauge went to empty from full. That is usually an indicator that everything forward was working properly. The other problem was that when the car was filled, he would smell gas. When I got the access panel (thank you Buick engineers) off, I noticed that there wasn't a gasket between the sender and the tank. When I pulled the unit, it had already been messed with. There was wire around the reostat implying that somebody had already tried to "fix" it. There was also JB Weld around the top of the inside where the wire attaches.

The short answer is that I need to find a replacement.

Mike,

The Hollander interchange manual does not go down to the level of sending units; it only provides interchanging fuel tank information, so using that, the 1961 LeSabre & Invicta (but not station wagons), late 1961 Electras, 1962 LeSabre, Wildcat & Invicta, and all 1962 Electras use the same tank. Oldsmobile is not the same and 1963 Buicks are not the same. I've also found, from experience, that the '61 and '62 Buicks with air conditioning take a different unit than the non-air conditioned ones--just to add to your problems!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sitting at home and sulking because my '50 Roadmaster broke down and vapor-locked on the way to the Plano All-GM car show this morning...

Might that difference be the addition of a "return line" from the front and/or size of the "feed" fuel line at the sender? The addition of a return line could be an easy alteration, but the size of the feed line might take a little more effort to adapt.

Just curious . . .

NTX5467

Guest Doug Burton

This is the one I was going to replace mine with:

post-91586-143142822912_thumb.jpg

Of course the problem is it is only a single line. Perhaps you can change the mounting plate? I ended up fixing mine, just a broken wire, so I saved $80.

You can find them on this page: http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/gastank_sending_units2.html About 2/3 down the page, S-BK6164.

Good luck.