Seat belts for a 48 Windsor Traveler

Perhaps I'm not doing a search correctly but I'm just not finding any mention about the installation of seat belts in any car much less a Windsor.

I'm generally a purist on a restoration but when it comes to safety belts I would prefer to have them.

On my Model AA Ford truck I have lap belts. But on my Traveler I would like if possible to go a bit further and install lap and shoulder belts.

Hopefully I will never have a need for them but....

Dave

You will have to weld some sort of bracket onto your B-pillar. I have done this on some street rods. Also where ever you mount the belts to the floor should be reenforced.

I have heard that it is not illegal to drive a car that didn't come with belts, but if anybody has ever installed them it is illegal to take them back out.

Lap belts were available as an accessory when your car was built. I know it seems early but Tucker planned to offer them on their 1948 model.

If you add a set, 2 things to remember. You will need a reinforcing plate 4" to 6" square where the bolt goes through. Or round, if you prefer. This is to prevent the bolt pulling through the floor.

Also you should anchor the seat down so it can't come loose in an accident, it could crush you against the belt.

Thanks. Good advice from both. I am in the process of pulling out the interior on mine so I can replace it. Pulled the panel off of the B piller tonight and have a better idea as to what I will need to do in that area. Anyone have pictures of just how they attached the shoulder attachment bracket? Doesn't necessaraly have to be a Windsor. Just looking for different methods and ideas.

I had planned on adding extra support on the area on the floor where the bolts pass through. 6" is enough then? No problem on beefing up the seat mounting. I should be able to run longer bolts through the captive nuts on the floor through an added plate and secure the plates with additional nuts from the underside.

2 door or 4 door? If it is a 2 door sedan or coupe you might want to rethink the shoulder belts. Unless you devise a lock for the seat back it could fold forward and squash you against the belt in an accident.

Cars came with lap belts only for years, they give nearly as much protection as lap and shoulder belts. On a car that old, that will not be used much or driven at high speeds I don't know that you need belts at all. I understand that if you are used to having them on your new car, you feel something is missing if you don't have them.

It's a 4 door. The wife and I plan on doing a fair bit of road tripping with it so 55 - 60 mph will be happening quite often. It's not my driving that I'm particularly worried about. It's the other people on the road that I worry about causing an accident. There's a lot of window space on this car and if someone or some thing causes the car to tumble I don't want to take an unplanned exit out one of them.