Where to find VIN on 1939 Packard 120

Guest counterpoint

I have applied to be a licensed DMV VIN Verifier here in California so these questions, of course, always interest me because I am also a Packard owner. I am still learning but as I understand it there is not really a standardization of whether the engine or body-production number is used but this may vary depending on your state. My own thought is, when possible, use the body-production number to save hassle if the engine is ever changed.

According to packardinfo.com, the 1939 VN (VINs weren't used until the '70s) is located as:

(1700) Serial number located on metal plate on firewall. This also included body type number plus the production number of that particular car, starting with a base number of 2000. Starting: body type number plus 2001. Engine number located on boss on upper left corner of cylinder block. Starting B-1501, Ending: 99999. (1701, 1702) Serial number located on metal plate on firewall. This also included the body type number plus production number of that particular model, the last number having a starting base of 2000. Starting: body type number plus 2001. Engine numbers located on boss on upper left corner of cylinder block. Starting: B-300001, Ending: 399999. (1703, 1705) Serial number located on a metal rectangular plate on the firewall. The plate also showed the body type number plus the production number of that particular car, starting with a base number of 2000. Starting: body type number plus 2001. Engine numbers located on upper half of crankcase, left side, front end. Starting: B-500001, Ending: 599999. (1707, 1708) Serial number located on rectangular plate on the firewall. In 1939 this plate showed the body type code plus the production number for that body type starting with a base number of 2000. Starting: body type number plus 2001. Engine numbers located on left side of the block below the distributor. Starting Number B-600001; Ending 620999.

I hope this helps!

Guest counterpoint

Turns out my car was titled with a engine number not a VN. No plate was found on the car and there is no number stamped in the firewall as its a custom bodied car. Finally found the engine number under the engine paint. It was very faint and almost impossible to see before i removed the layer of paint. and even then 2 numbers were very hard to see.

Thank you for your help i appreciate it greatly.

Allan

Glad to help! Interesting that there was no plate as even custom cars generally had them. Was yours a custom done much later where it could have been removed? No matter, the engine number would work just fine in most places, especially if it's the only choice.

I had a one-of-a-kind 1940 110 Club Sedan and, even though it had an engine number AND the plate, the Washington State DMV wanted to stamp their own onto the chassis but even though I was a teenager I stood my ground and refused to let them deface it like that so they finally relented and used the engine number.

No plate was found on the car and there is no number stamped in the firewall as its a custom bodied car

That would be entirely contrary to Packard's longstanding practice. A sale of a chassis for custom coachwork would have carried a vehicle number (VN) of the chassis type followed by the sequential production for that bare chassis. There are many, many examples of Packards with one-off coachwork so numbered. As an example, a 1939 "120" sold for custom coachwork would have had a VN of 1701-20XX.

• 2 months later...