Help selecting a carburetor for stock 292 y block

I have been reading a lot of the post on this site as well as a couple others sites and from what I have read a 500 CFM carburetor is about the maximum size carburetor you should use on a stock 292 ford Y block motor. However a lot of people have recommended the Edelbrock 1405 which is a 600 CFM and good right out of the box. Help, I am ready to get a new carburetor and need to know what would be best on my cheap budget and stock 292 motor. Thanks

• 5 months later...

Is there some reason you wish to not use the stock original 4-barrel that was designed, sized, and calibrated by the Ford engineers for your engine???

The above being asked, we have sold some 400 CFM Carter AFB's in the past for use on the 292 engine. Runs like a scalded dog. Depending on the year, the distributor may need to be replaced if the original carb with spark valve is not used. Also depending on the year, the intake manifold may need to be changed.

The 292 was rated at 4600 RPM

CFM = (RPM x CID) / 3456 for engines at 100 percent volumetric efficiency

4600 x 292 / 3456 =389 CFM

Assume 85 percent volumetric efficiency then 389 times 0.85 = 331 CFM required.

I have never seen factory ratings for the original carbs, but comparing them by venturi size to others which are rated yields approximately a 375~400 CFM original carburetor.

Take a good look at the third line in my signature.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)