56 Thunderbird seating

Guest Jeff Buzz

Guest Jeff Buzz

Hi,

New to club, just purchased 56 tbird.Had never been in one, but loved the looks.

My problem is the seating room, has any body done any revisions to seat rail for more room?or maybe smaller steering wheel?

Would like any links or ideas

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the discussion. All early T-Birds are tight fitting for larger people. I am almost 6'3" and weigh 205 lbs. I have not made any revisions to my car and am able to fit into it fine. I have the seat (manual) pulled back all of the way and I have the steering wheel set so that it is closer to my chest (all T-Birds have a telescoping steering wheel). It is possible to set the seat rails back (probably and inch) but there is only so far that the seat will go back if the softtop is behind the seat. I guess the smaller steering wheel might help. I don't need that since I don't have extra pounds around my midsection.

I hope this helps.

Lew

Guest Jeff Buzz

Thanks for the info

I did not know the steering wheel was telescopic, I will try adjusting that.

Hopefully get at least one ride in before rain/snow!

Thanks Again

Jeff

Guest 55ENJOYTHERIDE

Hi,

I consider myself lucky to be a 5'7" and 175 lbs so I fit in my car comfortably. As you can see the interior is not standard and with a smaller steering wheel. The car has no power steering so the only drawback is that you need good arm muscles to drive it at low speed!:P

http://zupimages.net/up/14/45/xdkv.jpg

Guest Jeff Buzz

6"2" 230 pounds

I tried to turn ribbed collar ,with both hands, on column, it didn't want to turn. Did all models come telescoping?

Yes, all did. It probably hasn't been loosened in a long time on your car. Sitting in the drivers seat the ribbed collar should be twisted to the right to loosen. You may need to spray some WD-40 or something like it in the area between the steering wheel and the collar to lubricate the threads. If that doesn't work then maybe a strap wrench would. It will come loose, it just needs some good "gentle" pursuasion.

Regards,

Lew

I think Lew's right about the collar, if it comes loose the wheel should move. But the steering shaft also needs to slip inside the column in the engine compartment. If the collar turn, and it won't move, don't jerk on the wheel. They're very pricey, and at almost 60 years, pretty fragile. If push comes to shove, pull the wheel off, and get a slide hammer hooked up in a manner not to damage the threads or splines. Don't hook the slide hammer to the wheel. If it's really stuck, the column drop (under dash support) and the clamp under the hood loose, try moving the outer column. It's been so long since I had mine apart I'm not sure if that gets you to the slip joint inside the column.

i have a close friend who's 6'3" , probably 220lbs, and has a 57. He changed to the smaller wheel, available at Larry's Thunderbird. It made a big difference for him. These are pricey at $325, but appear stock. Aftermarket from Grant or someone else will be much less. If you don't have power steering, you'll be able to drop your gym membership. His idea of a cruise is Seattle to Chicago, Rt66 to LA, and back to Seattle.