1926 Buick standard six K&N air filter install.

AzBob

Didn't have the original cyclone type air filter. Until I locate one, have installed a K&N filter as a temporary solution. It is 5" long and 3.5" in diameter. According to the K&N filter calculator, This size is more than adequate for the 207 cu. in. engine. Dipstick clears as well.

The carburetor inlet drain hole is unobstructed and is clear of the filter mouth.

post-101134-143142816508_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest buickkuhn

Makes it work . That maybe one of the vehicles the K&N oil doesn't hurt going into the motor .I am surprised that these filter companies have not made a retro style line of filters for the classic and antique vehicles. They could design them to replace oil bath mesh styles along with the updrafts from the early days . Maybe a new business calling someone out there .

While this is very functional, it also just doesn't look right. And I mean in appreances only, not what you expect to see on a 1926 Engine.

I agree 100% I had the same misgivings about the appearance.

Bob

assuming there is an air filter (stock, Buick) of some sort that belongs there....does anybody have a pic of the original..?

better yet.....how 'bout a pic of the stock filter for a '25-45 (Master 6).......we've got a cast aluminum "horn that has its' opening directed right at the engine block now & it just seems odd to not have some kind of inlet air filtration......

• Like 1

AzBob,

'fraid I was gonna hear that.....just never seen an unprotected engine before & have paid the price for no air cleaner a time or two before.....my bad.....the "cyclone" word caught my eye in your initial post & our cars are only a year apart....the only bad thing with the K&N after the aesthetics problem is that that filter, in that position, is a gas sponge & dosen't allow the extra fuel to just run out on the ground when choked......& that comes from some of the thru-the-carb the backfire problems we were having early on........just sayin'.........

your picture is stunning......

gpdc,

The first Buick air filters were of the cyclone type fitted to 1926 models. The Marvel carburetor has a 1/8" diameter gas drain hole on the bottom of the air inlet tube just before the air filter. Any excess gasoline drains out this hole rather than the filter.

post-101134-143142819359_thumb.jpg

Bob

• Like 1

It will appear much more original if you just slide an open end tomato can over it.

The one Bob pictured has the larger dirt trap shown on the bottom. Later units had a much smaller removable cup held in place with a tensioned wire. The end opening was louvered with turbine like blades to get the air to spin. They are very simple and effective at removing heavier sand like particles common on the unpaved roads of the period.

It will appear much more original if you just slide an open end tomato can over it.

My thoughts exactly, some type of cover that allows air to flow unimpeded while at the same time masks the K&N filter pleats and appears more period correct.

• 4 years later...

Don, 

I have an original 26 air filter.  95% of it at least, but it has had some wear.  I can get you some dimensions if you want to build one.  I have not decided what I will do with this one yet.  There was this other one on Ebay a while back, but it was made with pot metal and it was already coming apart in the box.  Done correctly, you could likely get a K&N inside and have the best of both worlds.  By the way, all the Model A fords have K&N filters on them.  We should be allowed to add on filters to protect our engines.  

GPDC, Don is correct.  1926 was the Buick advertisement for 3 filters - Oil, air, and Gas.  1925 for both Standard and Master has the aluminum pipe.  I am ready to stuff mine with steel wool and then oil it.  That makes it like the British did on all their sports cars.   Consider putting that green filter outer cover like you see on lawn mowers and just hold it on with a heavy rubber band.  Take it off for shows.  I bought some off Ebay, and that is what I cover my Jaguar air cleaners with.  Better than original.  

Hugh 

1106084850_26-27-28airfilter.thumb.jpg.f073d27f6f7f47fd91ae46d5bf95d3a1.jpg1036928693_1926-27-28Stdairfilter1.thumb.JPG.9da7a5ca9ae3bfd29119785023072a91.JPG

259293872_1926-27-28Stdairfilter3.thumb.JPG.c7210b2a8b1732dfa4444a4c472975a0.JPG

1242133380_1926-27-28Stdairfilter4.thumb.jpg.6c8dd807d6fbbf85388f46488fb5cf88.jpg

3143581_1926-27-28Stdairfilter7.thumb.jpg.2b8800f7df2efda92d4057462a72be62.jpg

289394926_1926-27-28Stdairfilter8.thumb.JPG.171a86d1d86184cbf270548a089f9f60.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I very much doubt the angled fins and the "cyclone" effect are anything more than advertising-speak. The finned opening is about four times the area of the carb. intake horn so there is no speeding air coming in there to spin much.

The cylinder was probably mainly about silencing the carburetor, which will roar and hiss if you have nothing over the intake. The cylinder would also act as a stilling basin so some of the coarse particles (sand etc.) will drop out of the air. It is similar in effect to the glass bowl on later mechanical fuel pumps.

You could put a can over the K&N filter. The can doesn't have to have a back on it though, on the engine side.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

This is the filter material that I mentioned earlier.  This is better than an open intake.  You can soak it in oil and wring it out.  It is effective just dry too.   A velcro strap or elastic makes it easy to install and remove.     Hugh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNI-UNIVERSAL-GREEN-BULK-FINE-AIR-FILTER-FOAM-SHEET-BF1-OFFROAD-MX-SX-BAJA/121869134908

865037283_airfiltermaterial.thumb.JPG.e36be6d632b69376151328813c1583d4.JPG