Interchangable winsheilds 56 buicks

Guest BigCritch

Guest BigCritch

Hi guys i just purchaced a 56 buick special 2 door/ post . Its a base, post model(not century,roadmaster,etc) The cars in great shape but needs a windsheild. What year/model windsheilds are interchangeable for this car??? Thanks for the help !! Im sure im not the first one to ask ! Cheerrs!

Welcome to the forum.

This would be a Model 48 2 Dr Tourback Sedan. Windshield also fits a Model 41 4 Dr Tourback Sedan (not the Riviera Sedan), Model 49 and 69 4 DR Estate Wagon. Also a 1955 Model 61 4 Dr Tourback Sedan. 40 series cars are Specials and 60 series cars are Century's. This from my parts book. Hope it helps.

Consider joining the BCA as there is lots of good info available here and a great monthly publication!

Gary

Guest BigCritch

Thanks ! that does help some! i"heard" that 54-56 2dr -4dr are the same just looking for verification, before i go rip something out of the junkyard and spend an arm and leg after i cant find one:/

Gary,

I hate to disagree with you, but I have a glass interchange book published in 1960 by National Auto Glass Specifications of Detroit, Michigan, and it says the 1954, 1955 and 1956 Special two-door and four-door sedans (and wagons) all take the same windshield for those three years. Also, 1954, 1955 and 1956 Oldsmobile 88 four-door sedans and two-door sedans use this same windshield.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Pete's glass book, for this purpose, would probably be more accurate than a GM parts book. Reason is that if, per chance, the '54s got less "shade", it would therefore be a different GM part number (initially) than the '55s or '56s which could have had more "shade" at the top. Typically, it was the glass companies that supplied dealerships with their windshields as FEW dealerships had people trained to install auto glass back then. PLUS, as the "doglegs" did cause some issues on other GM carlines (installation-wise), better to let the glass company fade the heat if the installer got to that last piece of the corner and something "cracked", than the dealership. Plus, if the glass came through GM distribution channels, it might have a dealer cost of $300.00, but would cost the glass company (via their distribution chain), probably, about $100.00 (not in 1955 $$,but just for reference).

A "tinted glass" windshield would have no heavier shading at the top, yet the "shade" windshield would be tinted with heavier tint at the top of the windshield than in the main viewing area of the windshield.

Enjoy!

NTX5467