Thunderbird Soorts Roadster sold at auction--can the car be driven on the road?

HistoryBuff

The old saw about "Detroit automakers don't sell prototypes" seems to have been broken with Ford selling this Sports roadster prototype. Here's an article about it I found on the net:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[h=3]Auction Results: 2001 Ford Thunderbird Sports Roadster ...[/h]<cite class="_Rm">www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/...show/auction-results-...</cite>Road & Track

Sep 9, 2011 - The Sports Roadster Concept was originally crafted for display at the ... Sports Roadster Concept Car was sold for $55,000 by RM Auctions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked up more and discovered there were three of them. One of them was sold with a limiter so it could only go 5 mph. I wonder how enforceable these "limiters" are? Is Ford having a private eye shadow the owner to make sure he never exceeds 5 mph?

Ford had a big sale of Ghia built prototypes a few years ago but at least one third of the cars they didn't have to worry about buyers driving because they were non running cars, only fiberglass or wood with no drivetrains. Still, I am curious if these T-bird prototypes are out and about being driven