the Harley Earl Olds F-88 two seater with retractible hardtop--did it survive?

HistoryBuff

I never saw this car in person but in the pictures the red car looks very contemporary even today. It had a wide grille mouth, deep inset, with mesh grille, and was a two seater with a hardtop that rose out of the rear automatically if the rain sensor sensed rain. I believe he was presented with this car when he retired and took it down to Florida, to Palm Beach But the rain sensor (I think from my exp. in Florida it rains daily for a brief period) malfunctioned and he sent it back to Warren, MI for fettling so many times I believe one time they just said "Enough already" and kept the car. I was wondering if it survived, like so many Motorama dream cars. I have seen the Harley Earl (and even Mrs. Harley Earl) Corvettes survived but wonder about this one...

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/4906,11139/1954-Oldsmobile-F-88-Concept_photo.aspx

Yes, that is the car, the blue one,the above URl showing the front 3/4 view, though I remember seeing it in red and with a more horizontal grille, flat on the top and bottom. I notice it has tiny headrest fairings such as appeared on the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky almost half a century later. Also I find the groove on the side fascinating, I think that was used on the Pontiac Grand Prix in the Sixties. So is this car at the GM museum or lost in the sands of time, and does the fact I have seen it pictured in blue (on this site) and red mean there were two of them?

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/4906,11139/1954-Oldsmobile-F-88-Concept_photo.aspx

Yes, that is the car, the blue one,the above URl showing the front 3/4 view, though I remember seeing it in red and with a more horizontal grille, flat on the top and bottom. I notice it has tiny headrest fairings such as appeared on the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky almost half a century later. Also I find the groove on the side fascinating, I think that was used on the Pontiac Grand Prix in the Sixties. So is this car at the GM museum or lost in the sands of time, and does the fact I have seen it pictured in blue (on this site) and red mean there were two of them?

The groove, as you say is on all 61-62 full size Pontiac's. The 61 is most like the one in the picture because once the spear gets to the door it changes to the cove part. The 62 does not have a spear nose at the front, but rather comes right off the outboard headlamp. click on the links

1961 Pontiac;

c5f252140ee9ecfca3fd42dbb213b57f.jpg

1962 Pontiac;

62grandprixother.jpg

There were three different F88 show cars built in different years. The gold one was built in 1954. The blue one is the F88 Mark II and was built in 1957. The red one is the F88 Mark III and was built in 1959.

• 4 years later...

Back again,same subject,  only four years later...am writing a story on this still missing car--I fear it was sent back to Warren, MI and destroyed, But for the story I need a color glossy picture (like a press release) front 3/4 and rear 3/4. I like the car in both blue and its later red. Hard to find is the red one when it had the top up. On this same forum, the moderator reported he once heard from a man who said he owned it but there was no follow-up so without a name or State it's hard to get on such a cold trail. Anybody who sends me a high res. image I can use (maybe a shot you took yourself) i can send a fine art print of the painting I intend to make for the story,  the print sized 11" 17". I'll have an expiration date to that trade of Jan 1, 2019 because the story is running soon.

Thanks Olds fans

wallace wyss

photojournalistpro2@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...