Insect damage to wood

Tom Boehm

How do I get rid of the bugs? A while back there was a post about "powder post beetles" on this forum. that sounds like what I have. Years ago some guy gave me some ash lumber to start building my woodie. Some of it had a lot of insect holes in it. I did't think much of it and just cut out the bad parts. About 2 years ago I bought a stack of good ash lumber from a company specializing in hardwood. Yesterday I used a board off the new stack and noticed the little piles of wood dust and some insect tunnels in the wood. I don't want my stack of good lumber to be ruined nor do I want them in the completed woodie parts. How do I get rid of the bugs?

You can try a company called PestSupply, 1-855-553-7378. There are different types of Powder Post Beetles, so give them a call to give you the best treatment. You really need to stop the infestation because if not they will ruin every piece of good lumber you have. The holes you see are holes made by the Beetles when they exit the lumber to lay their eggs. You have a problem my friend and you need to address it.

• 1 month later...

Since my posting I cut up all the ash from the old stack and burned it at a boy scout campout with my kids. I went through the new stack and carefully examined each piece for bug damage. I found one additional board with bug damage and I threw it away. I did not want it around until the next campout. The rest of the wood I have is pine and cedar. I'm going to carefully monitor the remaining good ash boards for bug damage. If the bugs show up again I will have to treat the pile with insecticide.