1937 Packard 120 Master Cylinder

packick

I am in the process of replacing the master cylinder on my '37 120. The main reason I am replacing it is because it leaks, even after putting in a rebuild kit; so I think the bore is beyond a rebuild kit. The other reason is I suspect it has been the wrong master cylinder for the car all along. Does anyone have a Bendix Reference Manual and can tell me what applications a B1130 master cylinder fits? That is the number stamped on my old master cylinder.

Thanks.

Bendix's online catalog goes back to 1936 for some makes but the first Packards in it are the 1947 Clippers. Part number B1130 is not listed at all for any year, make or model but it's also quite possible - and even likely - that it is a casting number that does not equate to a part number. However, the question piqued my curiosity so I wrote to them to ask. If there is by chance a reply (I do not have high hopes), I'll be sure to post their answer.

Packard Don, thanks for looking into this. I don't think this is a casting number in that it is stamped in a rectangle on the master cylinder. There are other numbers that are embossed on the cylinder which I assume relate to the casting number. I will look at it again today and post the numbers I find.

Thanks again.

Packard Don and Owen Dyneto:

Thanks for your efforts on this. I checked the master cylinder again and the only other lettering on it were EIS with a 21 under it; and a Made in the USA with a P under it. That's it. And I am pretty sure it says B1130 but the B could be an E if that makes any difference.

I heard from Bendix again and they gave me another contact to check. Apparently the devision I wrote to is more on the commercial end. I am working on an interactive Packard parts database for my site linked below that I hope will make these kinds of questions easier to answer by tying part numbers to the parts books, shop manuals and Service Counselors and possibly even to manufacturer part numbers like those I found from Bendix while trying to help with your question! It has been a fun excercise.

• 5 years later...