tight engine

Vernsmith

Did you squirt any oil into the cylinders after the engine was assembled? You may have added too much, and now the engine hydra-locks with the spark plugs installed. Bring each piston up to Top Dead Center, and try to suck out as much oil as possible. Then crank the engine for a while, with the spark plugs removed, to try to dissipate whatever oil remains. Re-install the spark plugs and try to start. Let us know what transpires. Good luck!

Vern,,make sure you are using the proper battery cables for a 6 volt system, they are larger in diamater then any 12 cables out there. Next check all of your grounds, make sure there is no paint between a ground cable and the connection. Check the starter when it mounts, my starter had paint on it and all of it needed to be sanded off where the started bolted to the engine,,same with the engine mounting point for the starter, that needs to be shiny clean as well. With the mentioned problems I had, it acted very similar to your issue. Cables have to be huge,,,all connections clean, as long as your starter is good,,it should spin it over just fine. The added burden of installing the plugs and resulting compression will slow it down indeed, but it doesnt have to turn over very fast to start.

Keep us posted on how it turns out and what you found.

Tom

I had (and still have) this issue with mine when hot. Turns over cold fine. Drive until heated up and try to restart and starter drags and sometimes won't turn it. Turns out (ha!) that my starter and flywheel gear were not aligned and had a 'high' spot where the starter would bind. Had to do some red-neck adjustments of the mounting holes to get better alignment. Now, it works better, but not fixed. I'll take her apart next summer and try to do it right. Hopefully, it won't mean removal of that lump of an engine. BTW, I went through all the usual 6volt cable and extra tight connections issues first. Also replaced the relay and rebuilt the starter.