Mid twenties Studebaker grill differences

Peter P

I bought a grill to use on my 1925 Standard Six ER coupe but it is different than the one on my friends 25 Standard Six. Can anyone ID the year or model that mine was off of? The rusty pic is off the 25 touring and has the blue enamelled symbol. Mine is the chrome one with a grey enamel. I can not find any part umbers on mine except for an "S" stamped at the very top. The opening in the chrome one is 23" high by 19" wide. I do not know if they would be different?

post-59098-143142812898_thumb.png

post-59098-143142812871_thumb.png

post-59098-143142812877_thumb.png

post-59098-143142812884_thumb.png

post-59098-143142812892_thumb.png

There are no less than four different radiator shells and radiator cores used between 1925-28, Peter. They DO NOT interchange!! The chrome one you have is the last of the four.

1st. Core opening 23 inches, crank hole 1 1/4 from bottom of shell

2nd Core opening 22 inches, crank hole 2 1/4 from bottom of shell, hood 32 5/8 long at hinge

3rd Radiator 7/8 inch narrower, hood 33 1/2 long at hinge

4th Chrome plated shell and flat core, all other cores curved

In short, you need a measuring tape!

Terry

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)

Thanks again Terry. I did try to fit the mounting bolts into the grill support in the frame and the bolts in the grill are wider than my frame holes. Beyond that i have not tried to fit or measure anything else. I never thought of the crank hole....

Peter

If you look at the 1928 Studebaker truck again, Peter, that is the radiator shell you have. The correct one for yours is most likely number one to ser. no. 1233530, although possibly number two see no. 1284331.

Terry

Peter, recently I have been having the same learning curve. Over here in the UK I recently bought what was advertised as a 1928 Studebaker big 6 rad shell. I knew it wasn't 1928 as like mentioned earlier this was for a curved radiator. The 1928 is flat, like my 1928 Dictator.

I was guessing that the date was wrong and it was a 1926 Big 6 shell, upon getting it home I notice 2 little holes, one each side of the radiator filler hole, this is the same as my 1926 ER Standard 6, when I looked at the 1926 Big 6 I have it doesn't have these 2 little holes, and upon closer inspection the big 6 is physically a wider shell.

Luckily I have 4 Studebakers, all with different shells and so chances were it would fit one of them, which it turns out will be the Standard 6. I don't actually need the shell, I just bought it to have in stock, if you are stuck let me know and I will send across some photo's etc.

Regards

Wayne

Thanks Wayne and Terry, Looks like I may have a stock grill shell now too haha. I was behind the 8 ball, so to speak as I had neither the grill or radiator. Bought the grill on spec and found out later the seller had the original rad too. I will get the radiator later so at least those tow parts will fit, just maybe not my car :(

Thanks again for the help and info guys

Peter