Where To Get a New Carburetor Start Switch ?

bhambulldog

I don't know if you can get new switches, maybe somebody will chime in with information.

You should be able to take the switch apart and clean it. That may be all it needs. There is a small metal ball that makes the electrical contact when the car starts. It can get gunked up and stick. I think there is a section in the shop manual that has more detail.

Good Luck

I don't know if you can get new switches, maybe somebody will chime in with information.

You should be able to take the switch apart and clean it. That may be all it needs. There is a small metal ball that makes the electrical contact when the car starts. It can get gunked up and stick. I think there is a section in the shop manual that has more detail.

Good Luck

I'm sure that it is just 'gummed up'.

And a good cleaning would make it right again.

But, I would like to have another on hand before, I go taking mine apart. I'ld hate to bugger it up and not have a replacement.

Edited by bhambulldog (see edit history)

Guest buickkuhn

If it takes a while to get it back together or if it does need replaced , you could temporarily hook the 2 wires to push button starter button . This is what I converted over to when I switched to 3 holley 94 carbs on my straight eight .

If it takes a while to get it back together or if it does need replaced , you could temporarily hook the 2 wires to push button starter button . This is what I converted over to when I switched to 3 holley 94 carbs on my straight eight .

That's a good suggestion!

I've got push button switch and wires I was going to use on my Ford

There are at least 4 different starter switches; all of them expensive, but some less so than others.

To avoid ordering the wrong one, you need to specify the carburetor identification number; then the vendor can look up the correct switch for your carburetor.

There are 3 different used on various Carter 4-barrels.

As has been stated, all of them except the vacuum switch (used by Stromberg, not Carter) are quite simple to clean. There should be a diagram in your manual. PAY ATTENTION TO THE SHIMS! (both location and quantity).

Jon.

There are at least 4 different starter switches; all of them expensive, but some less so than others.

To avoid ordering the wrong one, you need to specify the carburetor identification number; then the vendor can look up the correct switch for your carburetor.

As has been stated, all of them except the vacuum switch (used by Stromberg, not Carter) are quite simple to clean. There should be a diagram in your manual. PAY ATTENTION TO THE SHIMS! (both location and quantity).

Jon.

Thanks, that's good to know!

Mine is a Carter, I'll narrow that down looking at the numbers on it.

And, as far as vendors;

Back to my original question, who sells them?

I remember seeing some offered a few years ago...

I looked at CARS and Bob's and Kanter.... I didn't see them

While on the subject. My 55 RM is hooked up to a push button, which works fine. Is it worth trying convert back to carb switch starting? Don't know why it was changed. I opened the carb switch and it looks OK. Or just leave well enough alone?

The accelerator start is very convenient for underhood cranking. I do it often, turn on the switch and crank from under the hood using the throttle.

For priming the carb , observing the engine while cranking. etc,.

Cuts the need for an extra person inside the car.

One person can crank the car, while under the hood.

And it's part of Buicks' character. As much as Dynaflow and fender venti-ports

Jon.

on these photos,

Is this the carburetor ID number?

2197S

G6

post-69184-143142813787_thumb.jpg

post-69184-143142813789_thumb.jpg

post-69184-14314281379_thumb.jpg

Edited by bhambulldog (see edit history)

At the swap meets over the years I routinely scour the junk tables for old junk carbs that have the unmistakable

Buick "starter switch" protrusion ….. Now have a small stash of spare starter switch parts for the Roadie, should it ever require

attention. Getting harder to spot them, but still run across one once in a while. Keep your eyes peeled!

mike

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f8c0a406/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>