1951 Chieftain

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Good looking Pontiac,

it's always puzzled me to see the reversed dash!

Fitz.

Fitz, it's not reversed, it's the correct way for us down under, :)

since these pics were posted I have collected a few more pieces such as full wheel trims, a original front bumper over rider kit and various other original pieces including a chieftain 6V push button radio that's been reconditioned. At bit more re.chrome work to be done yet to finish it and a re- set of the rear springs as one side has sagged slightly from sitting idle for many years. When i pull the rear leafs for the re- set will go thru the rear axle and drive line as one uni-joint has been installed back to front, so will rectify that. will also check the drive line angles as i suspect the centre lines are not so parallel based on initial alignment checks. Once I'm back home full time will be able to get into the details a bit more and finish the outside and the mechanicals as she needs a good complete tune including a leak down test, adjust the valve lash and check the ignition advance curve as I suspect it's slightly retarded at highway speeds. Still she is on the road again which is a milestone in itself.

The amount of people who comment about it and have taken pictures of the vehicle never ceases to amaze me, it makes one proud to own a classic piece of motoring history and be so very fortunate to be able to drive it as opposed to simply look at pictures of these beauties....:D

Guest 51Pontiac

That car looks great I wish the paint on my 51 Pontiac looked that good. Mine is a 6 cylinder also they seem to be pretty rare because all the Chieftains I have seen on the internet and in person are 8 cylinders.

That car looks great I wish the paint on my 51 Pontiac looked that good. Mine is a 6 cylinder also they seem to be pretty rare because all the Chieftains I have seen on the internet and in person are 8 cylinders.

Thanks 51pontiac for your kind words. Like most re-paints its not perfect however it's the original color which I think is important, to me originality is the main purpose of restoring these old beauties, but each to their own. Of the 50,s era Pontiacs in Aus, the majority I have seen are 6 cylinder power plants, even though the 8 cylinder far outsold the 6 in the U.S. from what I know. One of the biggest challenges that we are faced with down here is sourcing original parts with the tyranny of distance, it can be an expensive pastime, but one I consider to be worth the effort and expense.

thanks