Parts needed for my 1925 R Hupmobile

Guest Steve Jansen

Guest Steve Jansen

Need flywheel assy. or Ring gear (if replaceable) also starter drive gear (Bendix type). Want parts before I start the project. Is this ring gear replaceable or is it part of the flywheel?

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve

The ring gear is a replaceable unit - heat it up with a torch to expand it and it almost falls off.

Heat it up (not to much needed) to put on the new one - they turn up occasionally online or at swaps. What I did with mine was reverse the old one and it seems to work fine (I have a new one but no reason to change it yet - If I need to work on the clutch or gearbox then that will be the time). I believe the starter bendix is the same as Model A Ford but don't hold me to it.

Cheers

Steve Ford

South Australia

• 7 years later...

Since answering this post I have discovered that the A Ford has 10 teeth on the Bendix and the Westinghouse unit used on the R Hupp has 12 teeth. I need to replace mine as its got teeth chipped off - is there any issue on using a reduced tooth count?

Thanks, Lump but I have spares sorted thru the for-sale part of this Forum. Shipping to Australia is doubling the price though as it's so high. It has to be knocking the steam out of parts companies heavily reliant on mail order sales!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 2:56 AM, Fordy said:

Thanks, Lump but I have spares sorted thru the for-sale part of this Forum. Shipping to Australia is doubling the price though as it's so high. It has to be knocking the steam out of parts companies heavily reliant on mail order sales!

Send me a PM, and we can trade email addresses, if you like. I have a late 1923 Model R touring car, and have some maintenance projects ahead of me. Maybe we can trade info, etc. Cheers, mate! 

• Like 1