1931 Door Check Information

Mark Gregory

[h=2]1930's Door Check Information[/h]

I own a 1931 Reo Royale Victoria body by Murray . The car is in fair shape . I am rebuilding the wood suicide door pillars . The wood where the hinges sit is rotten . I am trying to figure out the door checks . I purchased 2 early Ford door checks 1929 to 1932 . This is a flat bar bent like a hockey stick with a rubber stopper on the end . Does anyone have any pointers on installation tips or preventative maintenance tips . I was thinking of trying to installing a rod like bearing so the edge of the flat bar can roll against this bearing . I was going to modify a house door hinge for the bearing . Also how wide are suicide doors supposed to open . Example 90 degrees or 45 degrees ? The door checks can only go so far. If you lengthen them they will hit the car sheet metal behind the hinge when they close . Any help would be appreciated . When you own an orphan car make , you have to improvise all the time . Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hawkmoon77

Please let me know if you got any info on this. I have the same problem.

Thanks.

1930's Door Check Information

I own a 1931 Reo Royale Victoria body by Murray . The car is in fair shape . I am rebuilding the wood suicide door pillars . The wood where the hinges sit is rotten . I am trying to figure out the door checks . I purchased 2 early Ford door checks 1929 to 1932 . This is a flat bar bent like a hockey stick with a rubber stopper on the end . Does anyone have any pointers on installation tips or preventative maintenance tips . I was thinking of trying to installing a rod like bearing so the edge of the flat bar can roll against this bearing . I was going to modify a house door hinge for the bearing . Also how wide are suicide doors supposed to open . Example 90 degrees or 45 degrees ? The door checks can only go so far. If you lengthen them they will hit the car sheet metal behind the hinge when they close . Any help would be appreciated . When you own an orphan car make , you have to improvise all the time . Thanks

This is what i have determined so far . My doors are 39 inches wide below the belt line . I installed temporarily on the passenger door a Ford door check model 32850 . The dealer said it was for a rear door but should work . When I open the door as far as the door check will let it go . My door opens 42 inches from below the belt line where the door locks to open position below the belt line . I made up card board door check models and tried them for different opening measurements . I found one door check that works well and lets my door open 56 inches wide . This door check does not have the big thick rubber bumper on the end . But has a metal washer on the end and hits a piece of 1/4 rubber on the door jamb . It just clears the metal skin inside the car when it closes . If you need more information or a photo copy of what I have let me know . What brand of car are you working on ? Thanks , Mark

Guest hawkmoon77
This is what i have determined so far . My doors are 39 inches wide below the belt line . I installed temporarily on the passenger door a Ford door check model 32850 . The dealer said it was for a rear door but should work . When I open the door as far as the door check will let it go . My door opens 42 inches from below the belt line where the door locks to open position below the belt line . I made up card board door check models and tried them for different opening measurements . I found one door check that works well and lets my door open 56 inches wide . This door check does not have the big thick rubber bumper on the end . But has a metal washer on the end and hits a piece of 1/4 rubber on the door jamb . It just clears the metal skin inside the car when it closes . If you need more information or a photo copy of what I have let me know . What brand of car are you working on ? Thanks , Mark

So I've made some unexpected progress. And with your last response, I think I have a complete picture now.

I was examining the hole in the pillar on the passanger side very closely, and noticed a gap between the side sheet metal and the angle bracket that holds it. After close examination, I found out that one of the original door checks had slipped inside!

So now I have one. As you mention, it didn't have any rubber stopper on it, only the metal discs you describe. I see where the rubber sheet would have gone.

If it helps, I can scan in a copy of the door check with dimensions to see if it is at all close to the size you are experimenting with. I should be able to do it after this weekend, if you like.

Guest hawkmoon77

post-102556-143142861321_thumb.jpg

If you could scan the door check that would be very helpful . i appreciate your help . What brand of car are you working on ? Thanks

I have a 1930 REO Flying Cloud.

Atatched are scans with a ruler so you can properly scale a template.

Note that there is a bushine that was installed over the middle cut-out whose thicknes (shown in scan 9) is the same thickness as the door check itself. once that busing is installed on the middle cut-out, the bowl shaped thinner piece of metal with thwo wings is crimped over it to keep it in place. The shape and thickness are similar to an engine block's freeze plug.

Let me know if you have any toher questions.

Joe

post-102556-143142861342_thumb.jpg