President rear hub

rbk

A fellow Studebaker owner is looking for a rear hub for

a 1938 President part # 191758.

I believe it fits several years.

The President hubs do not interchange with the Commanders or Dictators.

Many rear drums hubs split if the mechanic puts grease or any lubrication on the taper because they had a hard time getting the drum off and think that the grease will make it easier to remove in the future.

What happens when you tighten the nut holding the drum on, is that because of the lubrication the taper keeps going and the hub will split.

Please contact me if you have a hub for sale.

Robert Kapteyn

studebaker@mac.com

The M5 truck rear hub is p/n 191757. I'll bet they are very close, but what is the difference, I wonder? The M5's have 1/2-20x1-11/32 studs, the 1938-40 Presidents had 9/16-18x1-15/32 studs. If this is the only difference, then maybe an M5 hub can be redrilled for 9/16" studs. In fact, all Studebaker 1/2-ton trucks used the same 191757 rear hub right through 1964. It's worth a look. For a few bucks, the two drawings can be ordered from the Studebaker National Museum.

The M5 hub should fit. The 1938-39 Presidents and the M5 trucks used the same 191707 axle shaft. This extends to the same ring-and-pinions (190027 and 190030) and case (195117). So, that means that a 4.09 gear set (ring, pinion, case) from a 1947-48 Commander will fit the older Presidents and M5's if someone wants better gears without overdrive than the 4.55/4.82 ratios. The 1949-50 Ford F1 trucks offered 3.90 ratios for Dana 41 axles, but they won't be easy to find.